Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

Wiper shudder

Hi there

probibly i stupid question, when i use my wipers in the rain they shudder, tried replacing the blades and they still do it.

any help much appreciated.

cheers

Hi there

probibly i stupid question, when i use my wipers in the rain they shudder, tried replacing the blades and they still do it.

any help much appreciated.

cheers

Try cleaning the screen - may have a film on it. Are the blades free to slide in the arms clamps?

Have you any additive in the washer fluid? A squirt of this can eliminate.

It may well be the motor. I had this on the intermittent setting especially. You need to take the motor out from under the grill on the passenger side of the scuttle and take it apart to clean it. I managed it as a complete novice so anyone should be able to.

When taken apart it will be full of horrible black grease that needs cleaning out and a think layer or vaseline to replce it. Do a search on the internet there are several 'how-to's with pictures...its really straight forward but just very fiddly

THe motor doesnt come out easily and if you have big hands expect a bit of blood, but very rewarding when its done :)

i think this can also be the angle of the blade relative to the screenBMW have a tool to set the angle!...try (Google)a search,but never seen it discussed here

very common.. link for faq and fix here (e30zone)

mine does it when it feels like it, sometimes it stutters or totally stops, then for a month or two will run perfectly, also on intermitant, I should look at it sometime but doesent bother me as normal speeds work fine.

Edited by QuickSilver

On my E30 (FL) they used a box to fit both the wiper relays in when on intermittant the relay seems to not contact properly and the shudder of the wipers seems to be in time with the relay not working properly. when on normal speed you can see the relay right next to it was fully closed or fully open and not tapping and messing about like the other one was.

We carefully took the relay out of its case to find this out.