Sign in to follow this  
jochen

iPod Video connection to my 540i

Well yesterday I said to myself my temporary iPod wiring to my TV AV input is just too shoddy - I hate cables strewn across the middle of the car. Ruins the look of the 540 :-)

So I can a video and audio lead from the video module in the boot, to the glove box, along the proper wiring channels.

Managed to dismantle and reassemble all trim panels without braking a single plastic clip - I am very proud of that!

I fitted 2 x RCA sockets to the leads, and had then available above the fusebox.

Fitted my iPod docking cable - which also connects to 12V power and ground to charge the iPod. Connected power to fuse 44, which is the unloader relay for the stereo.

Ground went to a very convienient fusebox mounting screw.

Ran the iPod cable through an access hole in the fusebox, and it dangles down into the glovebox.

Now I can have my iPod connected in my glove box, playing movies, and with the ipod battery charging from the car.

And the cable is long enough that you can take the iPod out and have it sitting on the centre console.

And if I want to change from iPod to anything else, I just drop down the fusebox, unplug the RCA leads, and plug in whatever I want!

Watching movies in your car is soooooo cool!

Jochen

Brilliant, I hope these details are in your 'kit' ;)

I was in Jeff Grey's yesterday getting some clips for the touring and they kept telling me about how the nothing would work (and would never work) until I showed him the tv actually going :D

Brilliant, I hope these details are in your 'kit' ;)

I was in Jeff Grey's yesterday getting some clips for the touring and they kept telling me about how the nothing would work (and would never work) until I showed him the tv actually going :D

Make sure you go back and show him the whole nav and radio and TV system working

And reverse camera, and AV input from your iPod, and extra screens in the rear, and Nz telephone... etc etc etc

It can all work, BMW NZ just don't know how.......

CD43 = new gen

You can get one from Europe, USA or Japan, and change the AREA setting to EUROPE for proper New Zealand use.

Also has ibus CD changer control, or can drive an ipod interface.