Sign in to follow this  
charlie01

Check Coolant Level warning light, help 328i 1996

Hey,

another problem... first radiator, then waterpump, then Crank angle sensor now Coolant level warning light appears everytime i start/switch off my car.

it looks to me like the coolant level is o.k.

my car is a bmw 1996 328i coupe

any ideas why i may be getting this message?

thanks guys

It'll be against the firewall where you fill the coolant. There is a white float sensor in there. Over time, it looks fine, but doesn't work electrically anymore. Just get a new one from BMW, they less than $50. Or Brent will have one lying around.

Or poor connectors on the sensor (much less likely)

Haha.... I'd get weirded out if that message DIDN'T show up on my OBC! I'm so used to it now.

Thanks for reminding me I need to get that fixed at my next service! :D

The warning lights are a pain in the ass huh.

ok thanks for that, i will go and have a look for it now, will get back to you

cheers

Hey Charlie, the coolant level circuit is a simple one and from what I can see there are 2 reasons it throws the error.

1. The sensor float is broken - you'll need to replace the sensor.

2. The sensor is fine, but the connections are not. There will be two pins on the sensor which sits at the bottom of your coolant expansion tank. Unclip the connector, get some sandpaper, I used 1200 grit I think - then sand the male connectors on the sensor. Then roll the sandpaper up and sand the female connectors on the connector. This is to get rid of any coolant residue that may have leaked on it.

On my car, I had the first issue after I did the cooling system. I'd broken the connector by accident. The error went away for a few days then came back, and turns out it was the second issue. After the sanding, it's been accurate till today.

Hope that helps, let us know how you go.

Yuen, i think you are right!! as my radiator and waterpump are brand new and just replaced i could be affected by the same problem you had, your advice is gold!!

i will try this and keep you updated

many thanks :)