Sign in to follow this  
togate

e30 tappet noise

How many of you guys experience tappet/lifter noise from your e30 motors, is it common amongst the m20 motors? mines getting quite excessive now and fricken annoying!

Edited by togate

How many of you guys experience tappet/lifter noise from your e30 motors, is it common amongst the m20 motors? mines getting quite excessive now and fricken annoying!

Yeh i have it on mine

Yep, an allen key and spanner to undo the locking nut, then a feeler gauge to check/adjust clearance between the rocker and top of valve.

I did my tappets recently easy, just make sure u get top dead centre alright, also my tapping wasnt tappets, was an exhaust leak but one tappet was a little loose so did it anyway

Yeah my tappets have been ticking away for ages. Its pretty common from what Ive heard.

Head down to Baviarian Motors in Glenfield and talk to Ernst. he'll sort them out and get the clerances spot on. In my case, I had mine loosened as they were too tight but you get that at 360,000ks :)

In my case, I had mine loosened as they were too tight but you get that at 360,000ks :)

Why did you take it in if yours were too tight, do they make noise when they are too tight? what made you take it in to get them adjusted?