Sign in to follow this  
dubbed5series

my car hates me!!

Another problem to add to my cars list of cr#p!

I finally got my d2 adjustable suspension for my E39 520i and put the fronts in and when I rolled it out the garage to feel how it felt I heard a grinding noise and noticed that the inside of the mags were sitting on the coilovers.

So I spoke to mag and Turbo today who recon I have 3 series offset rims on my car. So to add to my expensise im going to have to buy spacers. I found a guy out south who sells 22mm spacers which im going to go get on wednesday.

Now heres my question will I get this problem in the arse end of the car if I have encountered it in the front or do you think I might be able to get away with out them? As I dont really want to buy two and have to go back and get them for the back or buy four and not need them for the back!!

Another problem to add to my cars list of cr#p!

I finally got my d2 adjustable suspension for my E39 520i and put the fronts in and when I rolled it out the garage to feel how it felt I heard a grinding noise and noticed that the inside of the mags were sitting on the coilovers.

So I spoke to mag and Turbo today who recon I have 3 series offset rims on my car. So to add to my expensise im going to have to buy spacers. I found a guy out south who sells 22mm spacers which im going to go get on wednesday.

Now heres my question will I get this problem in the arse end of the car if I have encountered it in the front or do you think I might be able to get away with out them? As I dont really want to buy two and have to go back and get them for the back or buy four and not need them for the back!!

what do you mean by sitting on the coilovers? Do you mean the wheels are hitting on the inside strut? Or are the tyres hitting on the bottom of the spring plate?

If they are hitting on the inside of the strut your best to get new wheels - spacers are prob going to give you a pretty bad vibration, and open up a whole new can of worms.

If buying new wheels is not an option check the offset of the wheels if they are around 35 they will be for 3 series, if they are around 15 they should be the correct offset. If they are 35 you will need the bolt on spacers. Make sure they are hub centric ie fit snugly on your hub without any gap - need to be 74.1mm diameter. I am not sure if the adaptors come with a 74.1 or 73.2 centre, if they are 73.2 you will have to get them machined out which is going to add more cost!

You may be able to get away with no spacers at the back, however they will sit a long way in.

Let us know how you get on with the offset check.

cheers

Johno

The inside of the mag like where the tire meets the mag is rubbing on the actual spring of the coilover.

Where abouts on the mag can I find the offset? they are 20x8.5 with 225/35 tires.

But yeah I was going to buy those bolt on spacers where you bolt them to your hub and then they have more studs on them for the mags to bolt to. So these will give me a vibration?

Cheers Joel

The inside of the mag like where the tire meets the mag is rubbing on the actual spring of the coilover.

Where abouts on the mag can I find the offset? they are 20x8.5 with 225/35 tires.

But yeah I was going to buy those bolt on spacers where you bolt them to your hub and then they have more studs on them for the mags to bolt to. So these will give me a vibration?

Cheers Joel

whereabouts in Aucks are you/ maybe I could pop out and have a look sometime. The offset should be stamped on the inside of the wheel near the 20x8.5. You will need to make sure the spacer sits snugly on the hub. Are your wheels multi stud or just 5x120? If they are multi stud you may need to cut the head of the studs in half to make sure that the top of the stud sits inside the bolt hole. hope that makes sense?

I have been down this path before with bolt on adaptors and know the pain (especially to your wallet) that it can cause

cheers

Johno

PS what make and model wheels do you have? maybe I can track them down and find out the offset

Edited by zenetti

Im on the shore man.

But this whole spacer thing sounds like such a c**t lol. Um ive got multi stud rims. But I no when I got my mags the center had 1mm machined out of it to fit my hubs. So im guessing I just have the wrong offset a which kinda sucks, but owell my mags have curb marks from the nice people at the gearbox shop and little bends where my tires blew out so I think ill use it as an excuse and just get new mags and then get my adjusties put in after that.

So im just going to rip them back out tomorrow and put my old struts back in. But when im doing my struts tomorrow ill have a look on the mags for the offset.

And I dont no the make or model of the rims sorry man. I think someone said they were player rims or something and some point but I dont really no a.

Cheers Joel

Edited by dubbed5series

The offset is 35 so yeah got the wrong offset. And im starting to get so frustrated the base of my adjustie wont come back out its like someone has welded it is. Ive lubed it up and it wont budge at all havent noticed one bit of movement towards coming back out!!!

The offset is 35 so yeah got the wrong offset. And im starting to get so frustrated the base of my adjustie wont come back out its like someone has welded it is. Ive lubed it up and it wont budge at all havent noticed one bit of movement towards coming back out!!!

35 et will do it!! when you want some wheels give me a holla, we have 20's in stock that we need to clear

O true that would be wicked, where abouts do you work man so I can come have a look?

I finally got the base of the d2 out with the help of a mechanic, a crowbar and a mean hammer lol. So when I finally put those bastards in they will be staying in lol.

O true that would be wicked, where abouts do you work man so I can come have a look?

I finally got the base of the d2 out with the help of a mechanic, a crowbar and a mean hammer lol. So when I finally put those bastards in they will be staying in lol.

lol at the crowbar, that and a hammer are the 'best tools' in a 'real' mechanics toolbox

haha

based in Penrose and in New lynn on Saturdays, welcome to pop in anytime.

send me a txt on 021-729494 or click the wheel and tyre sponsors link, will take you to our website and you should be able to find contact numbers there

cheers

Johno

O yeah had a look a theres a couple sets there that I like the look of. So ill definately popout in the next couple weeks for a chat about how much its going to cost me lol.

Cheers for all the help to man.