Sign in to follow this  
SandMan

BMW 2.7 Conversion - Manual or Auto + Mtech II Kit

I All, my BMW e30 is coming along great, thanks to some of the cool members (I've managed to get some parts required).

My next questions are to do with my 2.7 conversion

I've scored a 2.7 short block (minus head), I've been going to change the gear box from Auto to a man, but now I think about it the 4 stage Auto really works well.

Is there any issues with the Auto if I increase the engine from 2L to 2.7L?

Will it break?

Or do I change the gearbox at the same time.

also.....

I'm looking at doing a complete mtech II kit for the car, but you just can't find any in NZL, bonus I have a brother living in Germany who is coming back in late December 07, I going to get him to bring a kit back with him. The next question is should I get him to bring back 2 or 3 complete kits? would there be many other BimmerSport users interested in purchasing one of these (it would depend on the price, but I think it would be worthwhile doing)

Comments welcome.

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO000000000000000oooooooooooooooo. Don't make an auto 2.7, seems such a waste.

And I'm sure you could flick off an MTech kit easily enough.

E: I see under your mods on your profile you've made a replacement ECU, If you wouldn't mind sharing a bit on this, I'd like to hear what parts it operates? Even maybe a new thread, I'd say there would possibly be abit of interest in this.

Edited by antony

Do the manual while the motor is out and it is easy.

From memory your ecu is an M/S? What board are you using? Would be interested in seeing it when you get it running as I want to use one to run an S/C m20b25.

Also would be interesting in sourcing a missing part on my 4-door tech II kit if your bro is going to be buying a whole kit for you.

Cheers mate.

Do the manual while the motor is out and it is easy.

From memory your ecu is an M/S? What board are you using? Would be interested in seeing it when you get it running as I want to use one to run an S/C m20b25.

Also would be interesting in sourcing a missing part on my 4-door tech II kit if your bro is going to be buying a whole kit for you.

Cheers mate.

OK, as soon as I mention ECU and changing the computer, heap of people want to know how to and if they can have one. I'm a computer engineer and in my spare time I tinker with ECU's and car computers, I've been working on a unit for quite a while now, sometimes it works well and mostly it doesn't.

You really don't want something like this in your vehicle. This is the plan so far: simple CPU control with external pots to change the settings whilst in motion ie: Economy and radical, 2nd part: it can transmit the data via bluetooth or 802.11n to a display which then displays the data on an LCD screen. So far I've used a laptop and Adobe Flash to mimic the Speedo, RPM.. etc, the bonus would be you could change the screen at any time to suite which ever mood you are in, black screen with a whooping big taco in the centre or a full set of gauges.

This is the plan and it's only a hobby for me, I estimate there is at least another two thousand hours of screwing around to get the thing working, I think there would be a market for an entry level Control CPU for less than $500 that you just changed the dip switches to get the correct effect.

Just image the future?? you could also include a touch screen interface.

SM

change it to manual, dont waste your power with an auto

are mtech 2 kits easy to get in germany? would you mind telling me where? im in the UK, tech 1 is easy enough to get, tech 2 is much harder, although does crop up. would love to know what sorta $$ too

Cheers

Once I've got my 2.7 built, my next mod will be megasquirt. I think there would be a market for what you've got. Also if you've got any 2.7 questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Our cars will be twins. 4 door MTech ll 2.7's.

Once I've got my 2.7 built, my next mod will be megasquirt. I think there would be a market for what you've got. Also if you've got any 2.7 questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Our cars will be twins. 4 door MTech ll 2.7's.

Ok, just brought a 2.7 (525e) engine tonight (short block) for $120, the plan now is to get this re-built with new pistons etc. Should I just drop my current 320i head on to it or just buy another one and sell my complete working 2.0L as it is? also where's a good place to by new bmw bearings & pistons?

I see that people place cool picts under their posts, so I'm gona do one as well, my "Once was cool" E36 is parked behind when my "Friend" dropped off his "new Lambo toy" for me to try out.. that's me trying to find the ignition key. This is the before pict, I can't show the ones after I went for a spin as the sh**t marks are too obvious on my backside. (Yes I did crap myself, this thing is a damm missile on rails).

post-2470-1195554512_thumb.jpg

Edited by SandMan

OK, as soon as I mention ECU and changing the computer, heap of people want to know how to and if they can have one.

Not me, I have done a lot of research on megasquirting my e30 so have a few clues as to where to start and am hoping to check out at least of couple already done to learn from others mistakes. Sounds like yours is a bit different to what I will be doing though.

If you go into your settings for the board, you can add a picture or text as your signature so it automatically appears below each post.

Hey if you are going to bring stuff back I want to get an E34 M5 front bumper from Germany but am getting dicked around with freight. Holla if you can help me ship this thing.

Hey if your doing the 2.7 is all you need from the 525e the block and crank?