Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

ipod to itunes

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to ipod and itunes, so bear with me on this one.

I myself dont have an ipod, but alot of my mates do and my flatmate whos 21st is coming up wanted to make playlists on either an ipod or laptop for his party. So I downloaded ipod version 7 (the latest one) on my laptop, now i had no trouble sync'n all the music that was on my comp to itunes, and no problem sync'n music from my laptop onto any ipod that I plug in.

But my question is, how can I extract the music off a foreign ipod and put that music onto my itunes?? I just want to get my mates various ipods and choose certain music to put onto my itunes.

From what I can gather, it used to be able to be done but since the new versions have cropped up the ability to do it, or do it easily has been lost.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mavrick

CopyTrans is the big daddy of these types of programs. It's compatible with the newest version of itunes. Not sure of what the limitations are on the shareware version but give it a shot.

Im a bit of a noob when it comes to ipod and itunes, so bear with me on this one.

I myself dont have an ipod, but alot of my mates do and my flatmate whos 21st is coming up wanted to make playlists on either an ipod or laptop for his party. So I downloaded ipod version 7 (the latest one) on my laptop, now i had no trouble sync'n all the music that was on my comp to itunes, and no problem sync'n music from my laptop onto any ipod that I plug in.

But my question is, how can I extract the music off a foreign ipod and put that music onto my itunes?? I just want to get my mates various ipods and choose certain music to put onto my itunes.

From what I can gather, it used to be able to be done but since the new versions have cropped up the ability to do it, or do it easily has been lost.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mavrick

Basically, you can't (Without using third-party software). Apple have gone all pansy-ish regarding 'stealing' music etc. However, the only way you can really do it is to get the music files off your mates PC with iTunes on it (all the music on his iPod should still be on his computer) and then copy them into your iTunes music folder using a large flash drive or the iPod on disk mode, and then on iTunes go to 'File">"Import" (You have to manually select what song you want to import, one at a time - this is very time consuming!!). This takes forever if you have a large amount of songs you want to copy, and the easiest way is to just burn heaps of CDs worth of music (re-writable CDs so you don't waste them) on your mates computer (with all the songs on) and then to Rip them onto your iTunes just like any other CD.

Edited by Eddy

You don't actually need any program, just a bit messy and will need some disk space.

Hope you realise what you are doing could be illegal due to copyright infringement.

Do so for the music that you actually own.

Anyway, on your computer's iTunes, you need to "enable disk use" for the iPod in question, then from Windows Explorer, browse to the iPod and there's a folder contain all the songs with scrambled names in it, make a copy of the files into your hard drive.

When finish, un-Hide and un-Read Only those files, then import them from iTunes. If you click "Keep my iTune library organised", it will even make a copy with the correct names to the MP3 Tags.