Sign in to follow this  
charlie01

18" motorsport E46 mags on e36 coupe

hey all,

just got some niiice motorsport rims off an e46 328i wagon. i put these on my e36 1996 328i coupe.

i think the rims are 8" wide, tyres are 225/40/18, my problem is the back is 1mm from the guard... is this normal? also front rubs ocasionally (not very often).

my questions are:

are these mags likely to be the right offset?

do i need my guards rolled or flared?

if so, where from in auckland

is this normal?

thanks heaps guys look forward to you help and the discussion,

many thanks charlie

They wont be the right offset but are fine.

if its rubbing under compression without the wheel turned then most likely yes you will need to roll your guards.

Any resonible panel shop can do it properly. Or hire a guard roller even PM McLovin on the forums here .. think he had one.

when sticking bigger wheels / differnet offset than the cars designed for yes you will expect guard rub.

They wont be the right offset but are fine.

if its rubbing under compression without the wheel turned then most likely yes you will need to roll your guards.

Any resonible panel shop can do it properly. Or hire a guard roller even PM McLovin on the forums here .. think he had one.

when sticking bigger wheels / differnet offset than the cars designed for yes you will expect guard rub.

Ok sweet thanks, bu my handling will be sweet? all safe etc with wrong offset?

THANKS

hey all,

just got some niiice motorsport rims off an e46 328i wagon. i put these on my e36 1996 328i coupe.

i think the rims are 8" wide, tyres are 225/40/18, my problem is the back is 1mm from the guard... is this normal? also front rubs ocasionally (not very often).

my questions are:

are these mags likely to be the right offset?

do i need my guards rolled or flared?

if so, where from in auckland

is this normal?

thanks heaps guys look forward to you help and the discussion,

many thanks charlie

it is strange that they rub on the front especially on the outside. how low is your car? Being 8" wide and running a 225/40 you really shouldn't have any issues with rubbing. Have you checked the offset of the wheels? they should be between 35-45. Are they genuine motorsport wheels or replicas? Genuine wheels on an E46 run a higher offset from factory so if anything the should sit in further. If the car is not lowered at all it sounds like you may have a 5 series offset wheel on there.

it is strange that they rub on the front especially on the outside. how low is your car? Being 8" wide and running a 225/40 you really shouldn't have any issues with rubbing. Have you checked the offset of the wheels? they should be between 35-45. Are they genuine motorsport wheels or replicas? Genuine wheels on an E46 run a higher offset from factory so if anything the should sit in further. If the car is not lowered at all it sounds like you may have a 5 series offset wheel on there.

hey mate yes the car sits 5cm lower

main thing that concerns me is that the tyre is 1mm from the back guard lol no breathing room there (poor tyre)

, they were off an e46 328i wagon (my mates) yes they are genuine.. is my only option to roll or flare? (dont really want to have to do that)

can offsets be changed?

will take the wheel off now and get back to you on offset size.

many thanks

offset is 40. says ET 40 on the back of the wheel.

is that a suitable offset for my car?

also, what is a good tyre size for the back?, as they are getting down

i will be in the market soon and will visit your shop when the time comes. currently on dunlop direzzas all round

many thanks.

offset is 40. says ET 40 on the back of the wheel.

is that a suitable offset for my car?

also, what is a good tyre size for the back?, as they are getting down

i will be in the market soon and will visit your shop when the time comes. currently on dunlop direzzas all round

many thanks.

Offset is 100% correct then. Unfortunately you can't safely change offsets on wheels. I have come across this problem before and it is not the tyre rubbing on the guards, it rubs on a little plastic thing at the back of the rear guards,and sometimes a tiny bit on the very back of the guard, only happens when you lower the car around the 45-50mm mark. very easy to fix.

Have you had a wheel alignment done at all on the car? Sometimes the alignment can be a bit out which can also contribute to rubbing. With your size wheels and tyres it shouldn't rub.

225/40/18's perfect size

pop in any time we have stores in New Lynn and Penrose, I am based in Penrose and we should be able to fix your rubbing pretty quickly

cheers

Johno