Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

C Arm outer ball joint?

Anyone got a whole LH side assembly in good nick, or prices to replace one? Failed a WOF.. Cheers.

i was told the LH side outer ball joint, not on the steering, so guess its the one on the C-Arm?? Dammit..I blame our roads

Edited by Chris C

Don't mess around with second hand parts, brand new arms only cost around $150 and come with both inner and outer ball joints

Not too hard. The only special tools you will need are a ball joint splitter and a 22mm socket. Neither are that special but if you haven't needed one before you probably won't have the ball joint splitter and if you only have a basic socket set, chances are it won't go up to 22mm.

A bit of dish washing liquid is handy too, use it to help ease the rubber "tennis racket" bush off the end of the arm.

Im buying a complete arm with ball joints in it, will i still need the splitter? otherwise ill pay the $60 and get it done. Cheers

if you don't intend on using the old arm then you can just hit the ball joints free with a hammer, no need for a splitter.

easy peasy

Im buying a complete arm with ball joints in it, will i still need the splitter? otherwise ill pay the $60 and get it done. Cheers

If you have someone willing to do the job for $60 get them to do it. I had a stubborn outer ball joint that refused to come out, it then broke the splitter then the ball joint fell apart but the inner part of the joint was still jambed in the strut. I had to remove the whole strut from the car and have the broken stud pressed out by an engineer. I wasted maybe 5 or 6 hours and broke a $40 splitter. $60=getting off easy.