Sign in to follow this  
CADMAX

E36 Traction control

E36 Traction control

How do I tell if I have it??

BMW 316i (and it’s a M-teck by the looks of it)

It dose not have a switch for it (on off) :(

If it dose have it (Traction control) do you think I could put a switch in to kill it ?

I think this is where to post it…..

If you've got it you should have a switch infront of your gear stick next to the lighter and also has a light on the instrument cluster, I can give you more info on what it does out of the manual, but I would imagine if you dont have those you dont have it.

well there is a odd light of the dash that never comes on :/

I was told that if the car is going to the likes of Singapore (that where I got my one from) they don’t have the button to kill it.

Don’t know if that true and that’s why I’m asking ay

Sorry I’m a total noob when it comes to BMW

It should be on during ignition and go out shortly after. To know for sure perhaps ask BMW Service dept on ph. 366-2238, they are bloody good :)

dude...i seriously doubt a 316 would have any need for traction control

I'm 99% sure that you won't have traction control cause all the traction control cars have a button to turn it off.

The E36 318 i had didn't have traction control, and i think they were optional back in those days(i could be wrong here). either that or it's the 325+ that had traction control.

Oh, and unless its a manual, or you want to keep changing diffs in the auto you'll hardly be able to lose traction.....

i can only drift the E36 in the wet and with crappy tires ... and burnout's costed me a new diff(which was when i was still a newbie about cars and stuff), chuck it in nutral rev to 3Krpm and dump in D .. hah .. i would never be doing that again .. hahah ...

Now i treat my ride with great respect.

Edited by aliluya

hahaha you dont need traction control mate!!! My 325 is AWSOME without it - i can get it sliding in the wet, in the dry and all sorts - even with the 18s on, but i dont like doing that - tyres are $310 each!! OUCH! ask the guys who were at taupo track day - except tim and gus - they couldnt hold on to save themselves, but i know most of the people there saw a sacked 325 on chrome 18s doin it slideways!! honestly IMO, if you need traction control in a 3 series thats not an m3 - you need a front wheel drive!!! :mosh: oversteer rules!!! :mosh:

You got a LSD in your 325?

nah it doesnt seem to have an lsd - but its loose as f**k without it - it would be better with lsd tho.... has yours got lsd? if yes, wanna swap? ill put it to real good use! :D

If i am right there is no LSD for the E36 nonM3's .. because i enquired about it when my diff went and the dealer said there wasNT an LSD for my shape ...

Edited by aliluya

Guest Andrew

If i am right there is no LSD for the E36 nonM3's .. because i enquired about it when my diff went and the dealer said there was an LSD for my shape ...

There is an LSD - was an option. BMW tried to make up for no LSD with traction control.

Go to your nearest gravel car park and see...

chuck it in nutral rev to 3Krpm and dump in D .. hah .. i would never be doing that again .. hahah ...

My mum did that in her old Primera (mates pressured her into doing that), and ended up breaking the engine mounts :lol:

haha..auto primeras....oh dear

Thought id just remind you that i do have an LSD. So if you guys wanna know what its like just ask me... :P

Well one of ya's said i've got some sort of electronic LSD .. i stil have to test it out to see what it's like ...

the lsd in threeta mates it sliiiiddddeeeeeee

big time - but only when the back tyres are stuffed.

the 316 /318 with new tryes can't even break traction in the wet let alone the dry - and the wheels go different directions when they're both jacked up. not in threeta!!! its cool in the snow if one wheel is buried and you cn't be arsed digging out - put one chain on and out she comes :bounce: