Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

E39 Windscreen Wipers

Hi Guys

We were over on the West Coast last week- yes the rainiest place in New Zealand and our windcreen wipers started working intermitently then completely would not work. Rang our tech at Dunedin BMW and he told us to disconnect battery then re-connect. That got us over the Arthurs Pass back to Christchurch where we went to Christchurch BMW. The gave us some minor module thing and sent us on our way. Worked ok - but then started stuffing out when we got home. Booked it into Dunedin BMW, they said its the main module (computer!) so $1300 later....still not fixed.

So, does anyone have any comments on suggestions on what it could be? Because Mum is preparing to wage war on the Motherland for a third time, and we don't want that do we.

Cheers

Emma

Have you Googled? I had quick look and found possible common faults are relay and rain sensor. What exactly is not working?

One suggestion was a new wiper relay (tall beige one under the passenger side cabin filter box in engine compartment)

There are lots of E39 common fault websites out there. Best of luck.

I had a similar problem with my e21.. I ripped out the cable going from the fusebox to the battery and chucked some spare 8ga in its place, everything worked far better from then on. Same goes for upgrading my grounds..

Worth a shot anyway.

Electrics/electronics are going to be the biggest problem to keep older cars on the road.It's a bloody pain, if you look inside alot of the electronics they are standard consumer, not high temp stuff.Pisses me off.(Electronics tech myself)

do the E39 also suffer from the fusible link crack?Maybe first sign of that?

do the E39 also suffer from the fusible link crack?Maybe first sign of that?

Not sure, but that problem had our E34 doing the windscreen wiper madness.