Sign in to follow this  
Jeddy

2.7 Stroker???

This may have been asked and if so my bad

But the stroker kits they have for the 2.5(e30) would this work on a 2.7?

If so does anyone know much about this

to be honest i cant say i have ever tried it. but i do imagine it would work. is this the 3.1 stroker kit we are talking about here?

i believe all the m20s use the same bottom end but just have different strokes so as long as that is true and your pistion and bore diameters match up with that from the stroker kit then there shouldnt be a problem.

if not just get a 2.5 moter and stroke it.

Firstly, who are they?

If your referring to the Ireland Engineering or Metric Mechanics stroker kits, then yes they will work with a 2.7 litre bottom end from the 525e, as its the same the m20b25. But the m20b20 has a smaller bore, but is the same block.

Can you clarify your question?

Firstly, who are they?

If your referring to the Ireland Engineering or Metric Mechanics stroker kits, then yes they will work with a 2.7 litre bottom end from the 525e, as its the same the m20b25. But the m20b20 has a smaller bore, but is the same block.

Can you clarify your question?

Sorry about that.

Yes i'm referring to putting a Ireland Engineering 3.1 Stroker Kit on the 2.7(with 525e bottom end).

Anyone know how much difference there would be between putting it on the 2.7 to 2.5?

Depends what head you've got on the 525e bottom end, because there both the same block.

You will need to bore out the block for that kit aswell.

I think andrew's doing this?

I don't think you could use a 2.7 stroker with the 2.5 (885) head on it. Because to do that stroker conversion you have to skim the block a few mm.

Depends what head you've got on the 525e bottom end, because there both the same block.

You will need to bore out the block for that kit aswell.

I think andrew's doing this?

Your doing a 2.7 build with the 731 head aye? Do you know if theres much difference between that and the 885 in terms of performance?

Are those the only options for the head? And do you know mow much would need to be bored out?

yip, I'm doing the 2.7 with the 731. There is a difference, probably ~15hp, but thats just an estimate, because when you research on the net you get all sorts of figures.

The benefit of using the 885 head would become even more relevant with future mods to.

The only reason I'm using the 731 head is to avoid having to use 325i pistons/ head skim, and the expenses that come with it.

If your doing the 3.1 stroker, the 885 is the only option, and you'd still want to have work done to it. I think andrew was hoping for ~250hp (bhp?), with serious head work. I'm unsure how much you have to bore it out.

Something I've learned is horse power quotes on the internet are normally at the fly, and posted by there ego.

yip, I'm doing the 2.7 with the 731. There is a difference, probably ~15hp, but thats just an estimate, because when you research on the net you get all sorts of figures.

The benefit of using the 885 head would become even more relevant with future mods to.

The only reason I'm using the 731 head is to avoid having to use 325i pistons/ head skim, and the expenses that come with it.

If your doing the 3.1 stroker, the 885 is the only option, and you'd still want to have work done to it. I think andrew was hoping for ~250hp (bhp?), with serious head work. I'm unsure how much you have to bore it out.

Something I've learned is horse power quotes on the internet are normally at the fly, and posted by there ego.

Can i ask how much its cost you so far and going to cost all up?

When i was at impwerks i asked about a 2.7 build and the quoted about 12k!!!

But also said that was for 300hp(at the fly of course) and included all materials.

Is this expensive or about right for a good build?

That is a pretty sharp deal for a full motor rebuild.

I'd ask Brian how many hours running before you need to refresh the motor again though.

Good luck.

Can i ask how much its cost you so far and going to cost all up?

When i was at impwerks i asked about a 2.7 build and the quoted about 12k!!!

But also said that was for 300hp(at the fly of course) and included all materials.

Is this expensive or about right for a good build?

300hp from a 2.7 NA M20?

I seriously doubt that without forced induction, but would love to see if it could be done.

200hp is what most 2.7's seem to make, depeding on other mods.

Edited by Mike

I've now got all the parts, it's cost me around $2300.

Thats including a 273 cam, 2.7 (both from UK), manual conversion kit, 525e bottom end, short shifter, 325 intake and fuel stuff, and a 3.64? diff from a 325.

The head will come off my m20b20.

And I've been quoted 1500-2000 to get it all chucked in.

Problem is uni starts in 6 weeks, I was hoping to have enough for both but am probably going to do this later.

Am expecting 180hp.

300hp from a 2.7 NA M20?

I seriously doubt that without forced induction, but would love to see if it could be done.

It could be done, but would cost 12k. SERIOUS head work, individual throttles, stand alone ECU, some sweet headers, and running on rocket fuel

well it would get you close, but I don't see the point at putting that sort of money into a m20 tho.

We get 300 horsepower out of the S14 2 litre and slightly less stressed in the 2.5 litre form.

Brian used to work on these motors for us. I would think that 300 horsepower is easily achievable from the 6 cylinder block naturally aspirated. It just costs lots and doesn't last long before needing a rebuild. Hence the question about running time.

I'd be surprised if you got 200 hours of running at that output.

It would cost closer to $20k to get that power too, in my experience.

Edited by Cain

I've now got all the parts, it's cost me around $2300.

Thats including a 273 cam, 2.7 (both from UK), manual conversion kit, 525e bottom end, short shifter, 325 intake and fuel stuff, and a 3.64? diff from a 325.

The head will come off my m20b20.

And I've been quoted 1500-2000 to get it all chucked in.

Problem is uni starts in 6 weeks, I was hoping to have enough for both but am probably going to do this later.

Am expecting 180hp.

Can the M20b20 head be used with a 2.5/2.7 setup ?I vaguely remember being told there were differences that make this a less than ideal combination.

However i am unsure on details.

Cannot be used with 2.5

Is used with the 525e bottom end as the pistons are the same, the head is actually the same shape to, so stock compression ratio is retained.

It is not as 'open' as the 885 (325i) head tho.

If you use a 325i head in the 2.7 stroker, you need to skim the block and use 325i pistons and use a vernier pulley?

This all costs money tho.

Stolen from e30zone, explains it a bit better than me:

I used the cheap way to build a 2.7,ie,standard eta short motor with 320 head,325 cam and 325 inlet. The expensive way is to use a 325 head and 325 pistons.The cost enters here.The 325 pistons are shorter from the pin to the crown than the eta pistons.So you either settle for a comp. ratio of around 7.1(good if you plan a turbo) or you shave(deck) around 2mm off the top of the block.This brings the cam closer to the crank and affects the timing.To correct this you require a vernier pulley(more expense).It is probably cheaper to build a 2.8 than go down this second route.In all cases you require 320/eta length con rods.My cheap option gave 178bhp and an almost flat torque curve.In the real world this means instant grunt at anything over 2000rpm in any gear. I can pull out from behind a lorry that is running at 56mph in 5th gear and be doing 80mph by the time I pass his front bumper

Edited by antony

what are you doing for you engine management antony?

getting a zone chip, or link or similar

300hp from a 2.7 NA M20?

Yea i questioned that figure also

Hes just built one and its going on the dyno this week or next so will tell you how it went.

Are you at Canty or Otago?

Otago, but in chch alot during the holidays.

Oh bugger, i'm heading to canty, first year.

Hopefully i can check it out once your done

Good luck with it

Edited by jeddy

Yea i questioned that figure also

Hes just built one and its going on the dyno this week or next so will tell you how it went.

cool, I will be seriously impressed if it comes close to that sort of grunt. any idea on what sort of cam, or rev range we're looking at?