Sign in to follow this  
325jones

gearbox removal

is there any bolts on the top of the bell houseing? in a 325i manual??? wantin to remove it to replace the throw out bearing how hard is it to do?

yes there are i think 2 hidden up there. maybe 1

(youll need a engine hoist if you do what i did)

easiest way i did it was to unbolt engine mounts, take radiator out so you can move engine forward and that will give you heaps more room to get all the bolts with out any hassle

thats the way i did it, maybe theres a propper way,

wait for some one else to reply

asuming this is a e30 there are two bolts on top. they are a real pain to get if you do not move the engine forward as when you rock the engine back and the gearbox down the engine sits on the firewall preventing you from getting the bolts. aslo have to remove slave cylinder which is something like a 11mm bolt. and the starter moter. i found the starter moter was easyer to remove from the top. just under the intake manifold.

is there any bolts on the top of the bell houseing? in a 325i manual??? wantin to remove it to replace the throw out bearing how hard is it to do?

o its a e36 1992 m50 engine,

yes, top two are a bitch, I simply loosend off my engine mounts, and jacked up the front of my engine, the weight transfers back and tips the gearbox down enough for you to reach the bolts, you'll need some extensions and maybe a U joint to get to them, but relatively easy,

Edited by QuickSilver

yes, top two are a bitch, I simply loosend off my engine mounts, and jacked up the front of my engine, the weight transfers back and tips the gearbox down enough for you to reach the bolts, you'll need some extensions and maybe a U joint to get to them, but relatively easy,

what u think it will cost just to take it to a work shop (in chch) to do how many hours?

what ive done a few times was just let the gearbox tilt the engine down after taking the gearbox crossmember out and driveshaft and poke ur head up behind the box and u can see the all the bolts. have about 36" inches of extensions and a universal that has tape around it to stop it twisting so much that u cant get it on a bolt. Well thats on an e30 but they cant be too dissimilar since an m20 gearbox will bolt to a m50.

what u think it will cost just to take it to a work shop (in chch) to do how many hours?

what do you want them to do? Simply remove the top two bolts? or do all the release bearing etc at the same time? Id say your looking at 2 - 3 (of mechanic labour probably would take less on your own average is $50ish per hour.) plus parts if you havent already got that,

holy crap 2-3 hours labour? some one did my clutch and charged 6 hours labour ??

i think i better move town.

just do it your self, theres not alot that can go wrong

just alot of fiddling arround e.g. maybe removing exaust as it might be in the way

once the engine mounts are unbolted its a breeze

holy crap 2-3 hours labour? some one did my clutch and charged 6 hours labour ??

i think i better move town.

just do it your self, theres not alot that can go wrong

just alot of fiddling arround e.g. maybe removing exaust as it might be in the way

once the engine mounts are unbolted its a breeze

holly bejesus on my old car it cost $380 all up including new clutch plates to get mine done at a mechanic (this was before cars dawned on me) removing exhuast is a must do, those bolts a f**king annoying though so go easy on them dont want them to round off.