Sign in to follow this  
Jeddy

I think i need a new diff

Ok so my mate tried to do a skid in my 320i(87) and f**ked it up big time

So now i put it in any gear and all i hear is clunk clunk clunk.

He's blown my diff right?

I'm in Chch and was wondering where where i can get a new one and can i put it in myself?

Also how much would i expect to pay?

Cheers

sounds difish to me, although if the clunking is coming from underneath your gearstick it would probably be a gearbox problem, diffs are relatively easy to install you should be able to do it, and diffs can range anywhere from $100 to $350 I think,

sounds difish to me, although if the clunking is coming from underneath your gearstick it would probably be a gearbox problem, diffs are relatively easy to install you should be able to do it, and diffs can range anywhere from $100 to $350 I think,

Yea im sure its the diff. Any idea what sort of ratio would be best i have no idea?

According to the sales brochure (chur Em), 3.91 was the factory diff ratio for the manual 320i's.

Edited by bmw3

Yip took it to Brian at Impwerks and its the diff.

Replacing it with a 4.45 (from Ray) lol so should be all good by next week.

Yip took it to Brian at Impwerks and its the diff.

Replacing it with a 4.45 (from Ray) lol so should be all good by next week.

Dam, thats really short for a manual 320i. see how it goes well for you but I think you'll be looking for a taller diff pretty soon. 3.91 would be my ideal replacement, they're a bit harder to come by though, don't even try for a 4.10, blame the race series.

Edited by Mike

Dam, thats really short for a manual 320i. see how it goes well for you but I think you'll be looking for a taller diff pretty soon. 3.91 would be my ideal replacement, they're a bit harder to come by though, don't even try for a 4.10, blame the race series.

I had a 4.45 in a 320i Manual it was not ideal. 3100 RPM at 100kmh,

Switched to a 3.91, far more drivable and doesn't feel any slower unless you feel the need to push more than 140kmh.

2700 RPM at 100kmh with the 3.9

Hey guy's,

My diff is giving me issues aswell, what would be the best ratio for a 323i?

Cheers

Kerashin

Hey guy's,

My diff is giving me issues aswell, what would be the best ratio for a 323i?

Cheers

Kerashin

3.91 would be ok, still be pretty quick between gears though. a 3.73 would be good if you could find one, theres a few 3.64's around but they might be a bit tall. comes down to what suits your driving a bit. some of the fuh raze guys in the states run 4.10's in 325i's, mad if you ask me for street driving

Hmm, so a ratio from 3.60 - 3.90 should be ok....3.73 would be perfect you say....

Driving wise, pretty much take it easy & cruise considering the price of gas, although there are times when I get excited & give it a go & I want that edge.

I'll keep a lookout for a 3.73 though...

Thanx for ur help :)

Yea i know but it hardly ever gets on the open road and i can always get another if its wrong.

It had a 3.91 in it so i know i wanted something a bit shorter.

Ray had a 4.1 but i bought that as well for the mechanic doing a race car here in chch. $300 couldn't say no.

I had 3.73 with my 325i but replaced it with a 3.64 due to bearing noise. Dont notice the difference at all. 3.64 & 3.73 are good alrounders. My 325i does 2500rpm in 5th at 100kph with the 3.64

Ok so my mate tried to do a skid in my 320i(87) and f**ked it up big time

So now i put it in any gear and all i hear is clunk clunk clunk.

He's blown my diff right?

I'm in Chch and was wondering where where i can get a new one and can i put it in myself?

Also how much would i expect to pay?

Cheers

u could try this??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=134673868

I had a 4.45 in a 320i Manual it was not ideal. 3100 RPM at 100kmh,

Switched to a 3.91, far more drivable and doesn't feel any slower unless you feel the need to push more than 140kmh.

2700 RPM at 100kmh with the 3.9

I got it back and its going really well

at 100kmh was at about 2900rpm