Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

740i ... 19s, 20s, tyre sizes?

I'm in the market to kit out the 740i with some new rims, I would like staggered fitment of course, with something along the lines of 9-9.5inch wide on the back with a nice big lip.

I'm wondering because the car is so heavy, what kind of profile tyres would I need to be running?

Hopefully the local tyre/mag guys can help me out.

Budget is unlimited for the setup, because its got to fit the car and be perfect.

What about the Alpina Dynamic wheels?

9 x 20†245 / 40 ZR 20 front

10 x 20†275 / 35 ZR 20 rear

They fit the E65. Don't know about E38. They'd be hot.

I'm in the market to kit out the 740i with some new rims, I would like staggered fitment of course, with something along the lines of 9-9.5inch wide on the back with a nice big lip.

I'm wondering because the car is so heavy, what kind of profile tyres would I need to be running?

Budget is unlimited for the setup, because its got to fit the car and be perfect.

19's = 245/40/19 front 275/35/19 rear

20's = 245/35/20 front 275 or 285/30/20 rear

call into our shop in Palmy and see Craig, he will be able to healp you out

Cheers

Johno

Cheers

Johno

Yea Craigs a good bugger - brought the hellrot e36 off him.

He seams to be into his big euro cars(drives an s500) so should be able to help you out.

Cheers

Johno

Cheers zenetti, I'll try pop in some stage later in the week when I'm not at work :)

Those Alpina wheels looks terrible I reckon, so does my other half.

SO they are off the list ... you guys have any other ideas on styles?

I'm thinking black with a nice big chrome lip on the rear :D

Edited by joshnz

Buy another set of M-Pars :P

Unless you slam it, I reckon 20's make it looked jacked a.

19's would be mint, but when you go the tire shop you can line 'em up next to the car and decide for yourself.

dont know about that style of wheel with your colour , falaen328 is a awsome example black paint suits them best

or silver or white maybe i dunno its how you style it , what about that hyper shadow or shadow chrome style with a big polished lip

Is that your car in the Trade Me pics? Personally I would get the skirts and rear lips colour coded first. Not too sure if black will suit with the colour it is. Ask Craig for W173, nice aggressive 5 spoke in shadow chrome. 9.5's all the way round will fill the guards out nicely!!

Or Beyern Mesh or Five will also look cool. Tell Craig Johno said to look after you :D

Edited by zenetti

Brent had a 740i with some pimp wheels on it.

Hamaans I think? They look frickin badass. I think they were 19" ~ 20" staggered

post-590-1199833582_thumb.jpg

Edit: The ones above are the ones Im talking about....

Edited by Mc Lovin'

Is that your car in the Trade Me pics? Personally I would get the skirts and rear lips colour coded first. Not too sure if black will suit with the colour it is. Ask Craig for W173, nice aggressive 5 spoke in shadow chrome. 9.5's all the way round will fill the guards out nicely!!

Or Beyern Mesh or Five will also look cool. Tell Craig Johno said to look after you :D

No thats penry,s(ex) 740....the car the wheels came off

I am not trying to be negative here...also consider that 19 and Twenties will be Hella expensive compared to 17 >And very difficult to get in Gisborne on news years eve after you have destroyed your other rear tyre running it flat for a kilometer(very very easy to do on a low profile tyre)

As you can see my 740 is on 20"x9.5" rims. The ride is fine. Mine is on 245/40ZR20 which give a great ride, and it was on 245/35ZR20's when I bought it, and the ride was fine. On the original Nexten tyres it all up it cost the original owner $4000. I got rid of the Nexens as he had one fail in the sidewall, and I had another fail in the sidewall - all within 8000km, and they were 50% worn after that 8000km!

If you are on a budget then run for the hills - the replacement tyres alone on this are worth about $3200!, and rims are worth about $2400.

Anyway if that doesn't deter you then here some good info:

According to the manual the original tyre for a 740 are:

16" - 235/60R16, (688.4mm diameter) or 245/55R16 (675mm diameter)

18" - 235/50ZR18 (front - 692mm diameter) and 255/45ZR18 (rear - 686mm diameter).

A good site for sorting out possible tyre sizes is: http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp. This would tend to suggest that the following would be a suitable fit:

20" - 245/35ZR20 (front - 679mm diameter) 265/35ZR20 (rear - 693mm diameter).

20" - 255/35ZR20 (front - 686mm diameter) 275/35ZR20 (rear - 700mm diameter).

Good luck!

I am not trying to be negative here...also consider that 19 and Twenties will be Hella expensive compared to 17 >And very difficult to get in Gisborne on news years eve after you have destroyed your other rear tyre running it flat for a kilometer(very very easy to do on a low profile tyre)

I'd tend to agree in principal - I could have put my car on new 18" rims and tyres for the quoted price of my 20" tyres alone. Finding a replacement 20" tyre can be a bitch even when it's not new years eve.

Thanks for those types of wheels, they both look mint, going to be hard to choose, but I'm really liking the mesh!

How much roughly would I be looking at for those do you think, with tyres?

Could you PM me.

my 2 cents,if your after a black centred rim with big lip,try the kmc dime.i think its a pretty cool aftermarket wheel thats not to over the top and has a bmw look about it.im sure most tyre shops in palmy should stock them

post-2486-1199907614_thumb.jpg