Sign in to follow this  
tibbs.james

Upgrade to a 2001 subaru legacy or keep the E30

As title says, should i upgrade to my dads old company car.

2001 Subaru Lancaster 6 "outback" its got leather its got a boot and a tow bar.

its done 170k with full service history from new.

dads company is upgrading and he said i can buy it for trade in price. $6000( keep in mind its easily a $7000-8000 car.

Or Should i keep my E30 4 hdoor which i love so much and put in some Bilsteins and do some suspension bushings

E30 has done 150,000 km, Leather ABS 4 door tidy straight car. I have done a lot of maintenance on it 5 spead gearbox swap top end engine rebuild lowered etc.

They both get around 28mpg around town fuel economy

Both get around 34mpg on a long trip

Insurance is going to cost a fair bit for the 3L Subaru

and i just love my E30 so much its just the best car ive ever had, and its easy to work on.

Anybody have any opinions ?

Hence off topic, no offence taken ;)

Edit - the m20 2.0 is a bit slow though

Edited by Jimmy

As title says, should i upgrade to my dads old company car.

2001 Subaru Lancaster 6 "outback" its got leather its got a boot and a tow bar.

its done 170k with full service history from new.

dads company is upgrading and he said i can buy it for trade in price. $6000( keep in mind its easily a $7000-8000 car.

Or Should i keep my E30 4 hdoor which i love so much and put in some Bilsteins and do some suspension bushings

E30 has done 150,000 km, Leather ABS 4 door tidy straight car. I have done a lot of maintenance on it 5 spead gearbox swap top end engine rebuild lowered etc.

They both get around 28mpg around town fuel economy

Both get around 34mpg on a long trip

Insurance is going to cost a fair bit for the 3L Subaru

and i just love my E30 so much its just the best car ive ever had, and its easy to work on.

Anybody have any opinions ?

After reading that you have already identified good points about the e30 and one bad point about the subaru(insurance)

E30 FTW

Maybe i should just do shocks,urethane and keep it,

A big problem with this is i can't tow anything or fit a Mountain bike in the back

I'd go the Subaru if I was just after a form of transport. E30's are old, always breaking down, and get a tad unreliable, and are also a bit basic technology wise.

However, the E30 will be the most fun of the two cars, and when they are going well, are great, and as you have mentioned are easy to work on.

I guess it depends on your needs at the end of the day.

I would only ever own an E30 again, if it was not a daily driven car, and just used for fun driving.

Cheers

Grant

E30. A good condition, manual E30 is never going to lose value. Whereas in a few years, the Subaru will be worth almost nothing. And as it already has relatively high mileage, I doubt it is a bulletproof investment.

Get a detachable tow bar and a bike rack for the E30.

Seems as if you summed it all up right there, And very good point about the depreciation on value

Iv had six E30's and none have broken down or given me trouble. Good little cars :P

Gah :o Sell the datsun .... no never thats my "Project Car" far more unique than a 4 door E30.

Yea keep the E30 dude. Dare I say it but never been a fan of Subrarus. Hate the sound and the look of them and lets not get started with the cost of fixing them... thats my opinion anyway

Yea keep the E30 dude. Dare I say it but never been a fan of Subrarus. Hate the sound and the look of them and lets not get started with the cost of fixing them... thats my opinion anyway

Well I just went and spent another $200 or so fixing up my sloppy gear shifter. In the future is set of bilsteins and poly bushings. andone day the other half of what my Getrag 260 was bolted too.

Yeah im keeping the E30. way to awesome to get rid of.

Keep e30! I can easily tow 2 jetskis on a heavy trailer with my new towbar. And i can fit a mountain bike in my boot with both wheels off. Hah, its all in the technique!

Well the Sub is gone, E30 is still in the driveway. All is well apart from more money to spend.

Upgrade? From a BMW to a Subaru - that 's no upgrade!

Upgrade? From a BMW to a Subaru - that 's no upgrade!

+1....totally agree with you