Sign in to follow this  
Jeddy

Timing advance

I remember reading something on here about advancing your timing.

I've got a 87 e30(Jetronic) and i understand it is possible to do so in these.

Does anyone know how much it can be advanced and what sort of difference can be expected.

Cheers

If i recall we added about 25 deg more advance before it started pinking (on 98)

Better throttle response - bit more power. Worth doing really.

If i recall we added about 25 deg more advance before it started pinking (on 98)

25 deg? That doesn't sound right at all...

25 deg? That doesn't sound right at all...

I possibly recalled wrong!

IMO if it doesn't pink and its running fine don't mess with it. Yes you can do it on the jetronic but coming from myself who has played around a little with the timing you wont really see a lot of gain at all running std pump octane petrols.

If you insist on having a go, then increase it in small increments until it starts to pink on load (acceleration) then back it off until it doesnt. Take care that it is not pinking at higher speeds where wind and road noise will often mask it. Mark the point where you started as well so you have a reference point. If you have a timing light so much the better.

Edited by ducatiss

I think from memory my stock M30 accepted 6-7 deg advance(top end rpm) running BP 98. We bolted on a knock sensor to monitor, anyway thats what we did.

I think from memory my stock M30 accepted 6-7 deg advance(top end rpm) running BP 98. We bolted on a knock sensor to monitor, anyway thats what we did.

Here is Alpina Aust with their real world dyno results. People, you will be astounded at how little some older( & newer) cars are putting down to the rear wheels!

http://www.alpinaaustralia.com.au/dyno/dyno_main.htm

basically thats how chips work....advancing the timing can be a recipe for disaster..I would use Mr E34 methods!!!

basically thats how chips work....advancing the timing can be a recipe for disaster..I would use Mr E34 methods!!!

Yea but i don't think you can get chips for a jetronic ecu