Sign in to follow this  
international

Tyre Stretch

Some people have tyre stretch to give it that drift look, others have to do it because their cars are too low.

I have heard many people saying how its not good to stretch tyres but what are the side-effects? well, I meant negative side-effects?

who even cares. really.

Search for that thread when eveyone went anal.

I had 235/45/17 wheels on my VR-4 on 17x8" rims which makes them basically sit straight up. I then moved the same tyres onto 17x9.5" rims and immediately the car felt a lot stiffer, obviously the sidewalls have no ability to stretch or move at all.

A friend of mine had a spare set of 225/50/16 tyres that really should have gone onto a 16x6.5 or 16x7" rim, but he tried putting them on a 16x6" set, the result wasn't pretty, the car literally rolled around on the tyres, and when it was at rest you could push the car from side to side about 50mm, it just sort of flopped about!

I'm of the opinion that slight stretching say 235/45 on a 8.5-9" wide wheel is fine, it keeps the sidewalls taught and the car doesn't roll about, but my tyres on 9.5" wheels are probably stretched a bit, 255/40 would be a better option really.

I've been running slight stretch for sometime now. And I will never go back to flat side walls on a road tyre.

The car handles about 10 times better with higher tyre pressure and mild (10degree) stretch.

Ofcorse you should use tires that are built to be stretched a little. Older designed tires dont have this and are more likely to have beeding issues.

I got 215's on 8.5 wide and they are stiff as, but look kinda crap with the yoko's on the front that have the big arse curb protector. I do it for looks. meh.

I've been running slight stretch for sometime now. And I will never go back to flat side walls on a road tyre.

The car handles about 10 times better with higher tyre pressure and mild (10degree) stretch.

Ofcorse you should use tires that are built to be stretched a little. Older designed tires dont have this and are more likely to have beeding issues.

I only brought up this topic after having a look at your 330i at the latest BS meeting. I like what you have, the stretch isnt over the top but still obvious enough to be considered as a stretch.

What do you mean by "beeding issues"...

I only brought up this topic after having a look at your 330i at the latest BS meeting. I like what you have, the stretch isnt over the top but still obvious enough to be considered as a stretch.

What do you mean by "beeding issues"...

bedding...getting and or keeping a seal,course you could always run a tube...

All i know is i have 215/40/17 Pirelli 6000 on 17 x 8.5 Acs wheels on my 328i and i'm looking to change them when i can afford to.

The cars fine and corners well but if you hit a white line or pull over onto a median the steering has a twitch like its on skates untill you straighten up, i've checked the tread and the pressures and there good so i can only put it down to the stretch. correct me if i'm wrong but i think 245/40/17 would be the correct fit or would 235/40/17 be better.

All i know is i have 215/40/17 Pirelli 6000 on 17 x 8.5 Acs wheels on my 328i and i'm looking to change them when i can afford to.

The cars fine and corners well but if you hit a white line or pull over onto a median the steering has a twitch like its on skates untill you straighten up, i've checked the tread and the pressures and there good so i can only put it down to the stretch. correct me if i'm wrong but i think 245/40/17 would be the correct fit or would 235/40/17 be better.

I have a similar setup, 215 45 on 17x8 acs's, and the car (318is with M suspension) behaved in a similar manner to what you have described, i changed all 4 tyres to a new set and had a completely different car, it now feels very solid and not at all twitchy. The tyres that came off it were not down to their minimum, and would probably have passed another wof, but i suspect they had been rotated and had developed an uneven wear patch on them causing the nasty handling.

You probably should be on a 45 profile tyre with a 215 section width, although your car is prehaps a little undertyred with 215s anyway.

Cheers, Dan

there is a maximum point of what you can stretch regarding tire size, if you run below this you have the risk of the beed popping of the wheel. i ran a 215/35/18 on my 9.5 and it was crazy but i drove it as a daily for months with no hassles. my mate had a 205/50 on his 10inch wide rim and they popped off. i had a guide to what minimum tire size you can have with wide rims ill try find it.

some of the d1nz guys are nutters. they drift on 215/45 on 9.5s, work well from what i have seen, in japan there even more crazy, love it.

is the object to make the tyre look a lower profile than it actually is...??

3 pedals,what is the recomended size tyre for a 8.5 in rim??(e 34 17 inch)

is the object to make the tyre look a lower profile than it actually is...??

It was meant for wide wheels with massive dish, wheels with 9"+ without tyres that wide to suit, thus causing the stretch, but people nowdays are over doing it using not so wide wheels and putting narrow tyres...7.5" with 195s

3 pedals,what is the recomended size tyre for a 8.5 in rim??(e 34 17 inch)

Pboy is running 8.5" with some 235 rubber, looks slight stretch but nice...

haha my mate thought it wud be funny to stretch a space saver 14" tire onto a standard 14" steelie rim, massive stretch, took bout half an hour to do but looked insane. dont think he put it on a car to skid or not but yea, i herd it chews out the sidewalls alot faster than it normally would