Sign in to follow this  
bretta

Air Bag Warning light - E36

Hi

I cleaned the interior of my '97 323i - removed seats to clean accumulated crud. Now, the Air Bag Waring light stays on. I don't think I damaged anything - does the computer need to be reset? Thanks in advance for advice/help.

Hi Brett, off the top of my head you must have disconnected some sort of airbag connector to the seats when you took them out, without disconnecting the battery first? That triggers the light. You'll need to get it reset by a shop or the dealer.

Thanks Yuen - I thought as much - only recently got the car and still getting used to all the extra "features" not on my nissan! (should probably disconect battery when doing anything on electrics - irrespective of make!).

Try this first

Disconnect the battery ( remove battery if you are not sure )

Join both battery cables together and leave for 15 minutes

Disconnect battery leads, refit battery and connect battery leads ( always connect + (positive) first, then the -(negative)

This is called a battery reset and will clear most fault codes in early BMW's

If the light stays on, you will then need it reset with a scanner, or something is still disconnected or damaged.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Glenn

No problem Brett. How are you liking the BMW?

Hi Yuen - I like driving the BMW - but really only get it in the weekends - so have to make the most of it.

Cheers

Brett

Hi Glenn

Thanks for the advice - I will give it a go today - if this doesn't work, I may book in to see you next week.

Cheers

brett

I finally got around to phoning Glen. What a top bloke - told me to bring my car down, even though it was Saturday and he does not normally work Saturdays. Problem sorted quickly and with no fuss. All this for very reasonable cost, and very good advice (probably will save me $$$ in the medium-long run) thrown in for free. Thanks, Glen. I am lucky I live handy to Botany Motor Worx - I now have a great place to get a great service. BTW, the project car looks intriguing too! I am a very happy camper again. :D

I finally got around to phoning Glen. What a top bloke - told me to bring my car down, even though it was Saturday and he does not normally work Saturdays. Problem sorted quickly and with no fuss. All this for very reasonable cost, and very good advice (probably will save me $$$ in the medium-long run) thrown in for free. Thanks, Glen. I am lucky I live handy to Botany Motor Worx - I now have a great place to get a great service. BTW, the project car looks intriguing too! I am a very happy camper again. :D

Thanks Brett

BTW the reasonable price was "FREE" and so was the advice :P

When you get approached by nice people who need help, and the right attitude, its great to help them out.

I get alot of arseholes coming in here "do it now" "do it cheap".........my answer.... fark off

Glad I could help you out there Brett :D

Cheers

Glenn