Sign in to follow this  
mops

Bucket seats

Howdy guys.

I'm just looking at buying NZKW reclinable bucket seats for my e30 coupe.

What greatly discouraged me is somebody telling me that they will need a cert (I'll need a cert once i put the turbo on and stuff, but that's not just yet).

I'm looking at LVV Cert documentatino and i think what they mean is that if stock mount points are used and stock mounting points for the seatbelt are used then no cert is required....

however, in e30, one side ot the seatbelt is attached directly to the rail/seat (moves together with the seat, therefore if I retained stock rails and just fit those seats onto those stock rails I should be ok ? or will that aswell require cert ?

if i get pulled over can police question it ? what about wof testing officers ? from experience i know some of the are more rigourous than others and it greatly depends on whether they are having a good day or not...

It has to do with access to the rear seat, my cert required that the seat not only tip foward but move forward to enable access to/from rear seat. So if you can fit the bucket seat to the existing rail and retain that move and tip movement when you use the tip lever, you won't require a cert (from what I understood from the cert person).

Will

well, i do not intent to make any shortcuts. I'll make it so it is structurally sound, i'm just concerned that some a**hole wof inspector in the future tells me that i got non-oem seats therefore i require a cert.

the seat is reclinable, i don't think it has the 'sliding forward' motion, i dont think any aftermarket seat does. it is not possible to retain that feature as it isunique to the factory seat mechanism (not only factory rails), but i'll investigate that.

I have an option to purchase adapter rail that will make the whole operation bolt-on, but it does not look 'structurally sound' to me. it's bassically a fdlat plate with some holes in it. the plate is maybe 2mm thick ? aswell the seatbelt anchor is 2mm thick bracket welded on.

i want to do it myself, but i just need to know the details for cert requirements (so i can avoid it). I'm experienced fabricator and wont have issues with making it stronger than oem, and make seat sit lower than oem (no pun intended), i just need to know the regulations regarding modyfying factory seats/rails.

LVVTA website has a list of all the cert guys and their Contact Details.

Its probally best to speak to the actual certifier on this, as diffierent wof places may differ on how they

see the situation ( some wof guys are just simply out to get you )

And a certifier would be more than happy to advise what other's have done and what is structurely sound.

Quite often the Police don't know anything about the wof/cert regs. So if you get pulled up it reccomended you keep the acutal documentation in the glovebox so you can avoid that bullshit ticket.

I know a cert guys son, the cert guys themselves really are a great wealth of information.

Cheers

Jimmy

I have Racepro Arrow 2's in my E30 and have required no certification. I retained the whole stock mount/slider assembly and made so Angle Iron brackets to fit the Racepro mounts. Works mint and have never had problems with WOF or Police.

As long as the factory seatbelt mounts are used you do not require a cert.

P.S Try to use hardened bolts and nylocs when attaching the angle iron brackets, the seats should be as solidly mounted as factory..

thanks for replies guys.

yes, i read all the docs, and even spoken with the certifier today.

They said that yes, if i retain oem rails and seatbelt anchors, i will be ok, BUT i can have issues if the wof officers are an being difficult.

I'll get those bucket seats anyways, cos i just got fresh warrant and by the next one i'll need cert anyways...