Sign in to follow this  
rowanhol

m30 went bang

hey guys i just got a 530i and the engine commited suicide just after i payed for it.. the seller has agreed to help me out money wise so i need to figure out whats wrong with it and let him know. i initially though cam chain or cam shaft so removed cam cover but cannot see anything out of the ordinary. is there anyone in chch who could drop by my place and have a look, there will be cold beverages supplied of course. just need to know if it's fixable or if it's an engine transplant.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Rowan

027 696 2778

Farrr what a horror story. Pretty awesome of the seller to help you out financially to fix it.

I hope someone helps you out real quick.

yeah it's pretty unbelievable. he's off to australia for a while but said to keep in contact and let him know if it's stuffed and he'll help me out..well hopefully

was going around a corner, 2nd gear, put foot down coming out of corner, it got up to around 4k rpm then abs light came on, no engine response, the rest of the lights came on,pulled over, tried turning it over,loud banging noises,looked behind car and alot of white/blueish smoke from exhaust, won't fire, now won't turn over at all.

it had quite a noisy top end when i test drove it but though it would hold together for a while. also had extremely noisy flywheel chatter when starting and shutting down engine..well thats what i've been told that nosie is anyway.

one thing i noticed is that when i test drove it was that when i gave it the loud pedal that the abs light came on but only once

my 535 does this sometimes but very sparadically,eg just cruising along and the abs light will show for a second or two and engine will shut down.. then it just gets up and going again

hmmmmm i guess all the lights come on when the engine stops... abs light doesnt come on in mine ,this can be caused by variations in tyre sizes back to front or side to side,dont know why this should stop engine though...you say you have taken of cam cover,do you mean valve cover?The banging sounds like timing out,blue smoke,because timing is out,would suggest something in the cam/timing has gone but the M30 is a chain....tensioners could go...the 3.0 litre six is the another version of M30.

was going around a corner, 2nd gear, put foot down coming out of corner, it got up to around 4k rpm then abs light came on, no engine response, the rest of the lights came on,pulled over, tried turning it over,loud banging noises,looked behind car and alot of white/blueish smoke from exhaust, won't fire, now won't turn over at all.

it had quite a noisy top end when i test drove it but though it would hold together for a while. also had extremely noisy flywheel chatter when starting and shutting down engine..well thats what i've been told that nosie is anyway.

one thing i noticed is that when i test drove it was that when i gave it the loud pedal that the abs light came on but only once

my 535 does this sometimes but very sparadically,eg just cruising along and the abs light will show for a second or two and engine will shut down.. then it just gets up and going again

noisy top end ???, if the cam lobs are worn down enough the the valves get shut to quickly then the head of the valve breaks off and then kills the piston(s) and head etc .

looks like this.

check number one lobs on the cam , if they look something like this its stuffed .

maybe also check the camchain is it turning with the crank . try to turn it by hand back and forth.

post-279-1201170854_thumb.jpg

post-279-1201170909_thumb.jpg

post-279-1201170970_thumb.jpg

post-279-1201171358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

sh*t Brent - not wrong about being stuffed - never seen a cam lobe that bad - did that engine have aaaany oil in it?

sh*t Brent - not wrong about being stuffed - never seen a cam lobe that bad - did that engine have aaaany oil in it?

i got this engine in bits from a guy who i sold another one too. i just wanted a few engine parts from it .

yes had oil it . guy was still using it a bit like this , before he sold it to the guy who i delt with .

just said on trade me , engine making knocking sound!!! :wacko:

yep removed valve cover.. tried turning over by hand but shes pretty well jammed up,starter motor won't crank it over,may try turning backwards with large wrench and check those lobes..took dipstick out and oil has a milky colour to it, smells a bit like petrol too

yep removed valve cover.. tried turning over by hand but shes pretty well jammed up,starter motor won't crank it over,may try turning backwards with large wrench and check those lobes..took dipstick out and oil has a milky colour to it, smells a bit like petrol too

If the oil has milky a colour could that not mean coolant fluid has got into the oil loop? (ie. faulty head gasket?)

Maybe if the crank wont turn there is a snapped off valve head jammed somewhere in the bore stopping one of the pistons from moving?

^ take with many grains of salt, knowledge gleaned from internet only!

Edit - oh and another thing that can snap off a valve head other than a worn cam lobe is carbon bits getting between the valve head and the bit it rests on when closed, thus blocking it from closing properly. Thus the valve head cannot be cooled by the heatsink that it usually rests on. It can get super hot and break off.... _apparently_

Edited by tire

the m30 can have problems with oil feed to the cams... :( The little oil feed tubes can get squashed by overtighening the banjo bolts

couldn't turn over at all to check cam lobe on number 1 so had to put it in gear and push backwards, camshaft worn pretty much as badly as in brents pics so i assume its the same as his.. beautiful.. that was an expensive 3 minutes of bmw fun. it does have an LSD though haha, it's almost worth the trauma now

Hello,

Just wondered if the engine is completely stuffed? Because if you need to replace it and you can only dump the engine well i need an m30 sump for my e28 525i which has the m30 engine ;) . Just thought i should ask.

Cheers

Hello,

Just wondered if the engine is completely stuffed? Because if you need to replace it and you can only dump the engine well i need an m30 sump for my e28 525i which has the m30 engine ;) . Just thought i should ask.

Cheers

no good to you you need a e28 M30 sump .

e34 uses different shape and oil pump

couldn't turn over at all to check cam lobe on number 1 so had to put it in gear and push backwards, camshaft worn pretty much as badly as in brents pics so i assume its the same as his.. beautiful.. that was an expensive 3 minutes of bmw fun. it does have an LSD though haha, it's almost worth the trauma now

in the same vein as above..there is someone here who might be pretty keen on a gearbox. Edited by kiwi535