Sign in to follow this  
bretta

Paint problem on bonnet - 97 323i

Hi

The paint has started to "discolour" on a couple of spots on the bonnet - I think it is the clearcoat oxidising and coming off. I have also noticed another patch startin on the RHS. Any suggestions on how to fix this up?

Thanks

Brett

post-2316-1201390032_thumb.jpg

post-2316-1201390058_thumb.jpg

Hi

The paint has started to "discolour" on a couple of spots on the bonnet - I think it is the clearcoat oxidising and coming off. I have also noticed another patch startin on the RHS. Any suggestions on how to fix this up?

Thanks

Brett

Brett have these panels been repainted at all or are they still in the original factory finish?

How old is the car?

How often is it polished

Does it get washed in a car wash.

If you can answer these for me i'll give you an explanation.

I have over 30 yrs experience in the Auto paint industry and spent 15yrs working as a Tech rep for ICI Autocolor/Dulux.

Brett have these panels been repainted at all or are they still in the original factory finish?

How old is the car?

How often is it polished

Does it get washed in a car wash.

If you can answer these for me i'll give you an explanation.

I have over 30 yrs experience in the Auto paint industry and spent 15yrs working as a Tech rep for ICI Autocolor/Dulux.

Hi Ian

I think they are in factory finish - car is '97 Japanese import and looks pretty straight around front end.

I have had it for just on a year, polished only 2-3 times a year, and generally only hand washed.

Thanks

Brett

Hi Ian

I think they are in factory finish - car is '97 Japanese import and looks pretty straight around front end.

I have had it for just on a year, polished only 2-3 times a year, and generally only hand washed.

Thanks

Brett

The reason i asked was that it looks like a breakdown in the clearcoat allowing moisture or UV to penetrate the basecoat hence the changing of colour this usually occurs when the clear film has become thin thus allowing moisture and UV to penetrate. this can occur if the car is regulary CUT/polished (not waxed) as the cutting paste is made to do just that. this can also happen if at the time of painting wether it factory or a panel shop, a bit of dirt or a run is in the paint, the process is then to flat & polish the area to remove the foreign body, unfortunately this also removes a certain amount of the clearcoat leaving an area that is weak, this may explain why it has only done this in certain areas, sorry to say the only way to rectify this is to refinish the area.

Thanks for that Ian. I presumed that I was up for some sort of re-finishing. I wasn't sure if it could be "localised", or if the whole bonnet needs to be done.

Cheers

Brett

Thanks for that Ian. I presumed that I was up for some sort of re-finishing. I wasn't sure if it could be "localised", or if the whole bonnet needs to be done.

Cheers

Brett

It could be localised by using soft masking on the bonnet lines, but this is a skilled job and needs a competent painter to do it, its your choice, personally i'd do the whole bonnet as it will age the same. Good luck

I had a similar issue on the 540. I just got the whole bonnet done.

It didn't cost much $500-600 off memory.

$500-600??? I guess the 5 series bonnet is fairly big.

My 3 series is in the paintshop at the moment: $250 for the bonnet to be stripped, a small dent removed and resprayed. So not too hard on the wallet.

You're correct. I forgot that I had the front spoiler and the front guards blended too.

Still cheap IMO

i got mine done cheap...the guy who rear ended me paid for most of it(bonnet,front lip)

$500-600??? I guess the 5 series bonnet is fairly big.

My 3 series is in the paintshop at the moment: $250 for the bonnet to be stripped, a small dent removed and resprayed. So not too hard on the wallet.

Where did you end up taking it

Where did you end up taking it

Gordon Milne Paint and Panel on Hands Road. He was recommended to me by a workmate who is into American cars (owns a very nice 1970 Camaro). Getting the bonnet, nosepanel and bumper painted for $600 + gst.... really good price compared to the quotes I was getting for between $800 and a grand.

Hoping for a nice finish...get the car back Sat morning so will find out then.