Sign in to follow this  
the stig

Importing from the UK

My parents are looking at buying a e46 330d but want a motorsport which are quite rare in NZ.

We found this one for sale through a BMW dealer, looks good with low k's.

link

How much of a hassle and cost is it to get it here.

Are you allowed to import this with the new laws?

If you know of any motorsport 330d's for sale could you please PM me

Cheers,

Nick

Looks nice, but NZ$55K + Shipping and compliance?

What about an e60 530d for $60K? 530d

Or even a well optioned out, uber cool 6 speed diesel x5 for $53K? x5

Looks nice, but NZ$55K + Shipping and compliance?

What about an e60 530d for $60K? 530d

Or even a well optioned out, uber cool 6 speed diesel x5 for $53K? x5

Thanks for reply

Works out to be around 46k nz.

The car is for my mum, and she wants something smaller than a 5 series, and needs to be a motorsport..

The x5 looks nice but it has done high k's and we allready have a 4wd

Hi Stig

I have privately imported about 3 cars ex UK and 10+ ex Japan so am speaking from a fair bit of experience. Initial comments is that importing cars is child's play and very staight forward so don't let that put you off.

Second comment is that UK is not the best hunting ground for buying BMWs due to the higher cost of getting them to NZ. Basically you have to put into a container and ship across the world which adds about $5k more than getting from Japan. On the positive, the number plates are longer Euro ones so fitting NZ ones look better. On the negative is that the speedos are set to miles, not km.

I have a spreadsheet which is very accurate to calculate the costs. Happy to email it to you if you are really serious. Basically your 19kGBP car at currency rate of .385 on the road and registered will be $NZ64k. If you got it for 18k GBP would be on road at $NZ61k. These costing incl GST which you will have to pay on entry.

Before you settle on the 3 series, take a 130i for a drive. I did the BMW driver training in one and was more than impressed with it. I was expecting bottom feeder in the BMW range but left with a different view of them if you were looking for a shopping basket.

Last word would be to buy one ex Japan rather than England. Should land at least $15k cheaper than your UK one and likely more options. They do come up in RHD but you have to be patient.

Hope this helps

Hi Stig

I have privately imported about 3 cars ex UK and 10+ ex Japan so am speaking from a fair bit of experience. Initial comments is that importing cars is child's play and very staight forward so don't let that put you off.

Second comment is that UK is not the best hunting ground for buying BMWs due to the higher cost of getting them to NZ. Basically you have to put into a container and ship across the world which adds about $5k more than getting from Japan. On the positive, the number plates are longer Euro ones so fitting NZ ones look better. On the negative is that the speedos are set to miles, not km.

I have a spreadsheet which is very accurate to calculate the costs. Happy to email it to you if you are really serious. Basically your 19kGBP car at currency rate of .385 on the road and registered will be $NZ64k. If you got it for 18k GBP would be on road at $NZ61k. These costing incl GST which you will have to pay on entry.

Before you settle on the 3 series, take a 130i for a drive. I did the BMW driver training in one and was more than impressed with it. I was expecting bottom feeder in the BMW range but left with a different view of them if you were looking for a shopping basket.

Last word would be to buy one ex Japan rather than England. Should land at least $15k cheaper than your UK one and likely more options. They do come up in RHD but you have to be patient.

Hope this helps

What are some good Japanese importing sites?

Keen on spreadsheet, will PM you my email,

Thanks alot,

Nick