Sign in to follow this  
madracer

TRANS FAILSAFE PROG

i tried to start my car and the engine just turns over and over but wont fire also a warning message come up on my dash display "TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG. a security system has been put in and the problem accured while this was being done but fixed its self.

has any body else exprienced this? i have a 98 540i.

it was quite painful to watch my car that i had bought less than two weeks ago get carried away to christchurch bmw on the back of a tow truck.

Edited by madracer

i tried to start my car and the engine just turns over and over but wont fire also a warning message come up on my dash display "TRANS. FAILSAFE PROG. a security system has been put in and the problem accured while this was being done but fixed its self.

has any body else exprienced this? i have a 98 540i.

it was quite painful to watch my car that i had bought less than two weeks ago get carried away to christchurch bmw on the back of a tow truck.

A nearly flat battery will cause this.

Charge the battery and you'll be fine. The transmission fault will clear itself.

If your car won't fire you have a fuel or spark problem. Likely to be fuel, as the spark is generated in each cyclinder, and you won't have 8 x coils failing without any warning messages. So suspect a fuel issue.

Note your car already has a factory immobiliser built in, so the security system has no need to immobilise anything. The factory immobiliser is heaps better than any after market unit.

Jochen

in terms of your battery being flat, check the the alarm has been installed correctly, the alarm need to be installed on a power source\circut that will still allow the car to go into power save after 22 mins.

To check do this, when you next park the car , get out lock up as per normal using your newly installed alarm.

Take note that you will the the light on next the the "P" by the gear stick, after 22 mins the light should go off.

If not your alarm is installed incorrectly and will cause your battery to drain overnight or at least weak, same symptoms and a bad grounding. Hope that helps.

my car is already in at bmw so hopefully they will tell me whats wrong i f not i got a couple of things to try out

cars working again, car had corroded connections on main computer i think which had been bumped while alarm was being installed and had stopped the car from starting, problem was found quickly, fixed quickly and i think cheaply as well, chch bmw did the work and im quite impressed.