Sign in to follow this  
Muzzie

E36 Motor Missing

Query

Gfs BMW e36 318iS, went over a bump earlier (probably unrelated but nonetheless), ran fine on the way home. Started it about 20minutes later after stopping it and its missing like buggery.

It came right on the short drive, but now its back permanently. Appears to be only one cylinder, I think it';s number 1, as the other 3 if the plug leads are removed then they really cripple the motors acceleration. Number one makes little/no difference.

Doesnt miss when idling, or under slow revving (til about 5grand), but when hard accelerating it misses badly.

Checked number 1 and it has constant and strong spark. Haven't checked other 3 as yet.

Any ideas? Could it be a dud injector? Is it something that would show up under diagnostic?

Thanks

Edit - also, tried running it without number 1 plug, had no apparent petrol vapour being sprayed out spark plug hole.

Edited by Muzzie

First try swapping spark plugs around. May be a faulty spark plug.

Sometimes spark will track under load and not under gentle driving, check that you don't have a faulty dist cap (cracks, track marks, buggered internal contact on no1..) and check the rotor while you are at it.

If this doesn't help, you could have an iffy injector, check that the connection to the injector is good and listen to the injector (if you can get to it, I don't know the 318iS motor very well) by putting a long screwdriver/piece of dowelling/engine stethescope etc on the injector and the other end in your ear and listen for a loud tick and check that all injectors sound the same. If your injector is not giving a solid tick, it may be faulty and not opening properly under load.

good luck

Will

Will - it's not got a rotor, or dizzy cap.

Tried swapping out the coil pack and that didn't help, still missing like buggery.

Runs mint for the first minute or so then starts missing.

Will try a set of plugs and see if that helps. If it aint that then it can only be ECU or Injector <_<

Will - it's not got a rotor, or dizzy cap.

Tried swapping out the coil pack and that didn't help, still missing like buggery.

Runs mint for the first minute or so then starts missing.

Will try a set of plugs and see if that helps. If it aint that then it can only be ECU or Injector <_<

Dont start playing It'll turn to grief. Bring it in on Thursday I'll scan it for you. You need to do that first.

Give me a call in the morning (09)2722546

Cheers

Glenn

Dont start playing It'll turn to grief. Bring it in on Thursday I'll scan it for you. You need to do that first.

Give me a call in the morning (09)2722546

Cheers

Glenn

Sounds expensive :(

Ummmmm, it's not going anywhere in a hurry, I woke during the day, but finish early on Fridays, so might try and bring it in then?

Any idea what this gonna cost? Gotta try tell gf :(

Price on fixing engine problems can surprise you both ways.

Have a check with Glenn first.

It's better than screwing it up playing around and to end up paying even more.

This may seem like a retarded reply but my girlfriends E36 318ti did the same thing... got it hooked up to the machine to see what the story was but it didnt tell us anything. In the end it was a small amount of water sitting around the plug, her leads arent the best either so not sure why it was causing trouble but they dried it out and it was back to normal... apparently it isnt that uncommon.... hasnt done it since.. it hadnt been raining either... only thing i can think of is that it leaked from the washer... tho the mechanic said he couldnt work out where it came from either... something to consider maybe..

Well, I tried running some injector cleaner through it (when i had a spare moment - damn new job) and it came right for a bit and then the miss came back.

Will a scan tell me if its an injector has a fault/blocked?

Or do I jsut needa buy/borrow a spare and try swapping them out?

Thanks