Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

new e30

hey guys

got a new e30 320 shell

manual yus ! doesnt compare to the 325 manual i have

any way

took it for a blast, didnt hammer it, but it seems that when ever i seem to accellerate heavily

or heavier you could say and it gets past a certain rpm (2000) i think

it seems to cut out, splutter, grunt, power loss, etc etc

so i can go arround accellerating carefully or else it feels like theres no guts left

sound like a fuel problem?

Air ?

electrical?

the dash board is not plugged in, have anything to do with it ?

cheers

will do,

could the car not been running for ages have any thing to do with it ?

empty gas tank with time would it rust ?

just thinking out side of the box here

Fuel pump could be on the way out, also could be a blocked fuel filter. If you can clearly hear the fuel pump running while the car is idling, it is a sign that it is on its way out. It should run almost silently.

Check that the petrol tank vent is open, if it is blocked, it will pull a vacuum in the tank and starve fuel under demand. Take the fuel cap off and try it, if it cures it clean all the spiders/whatever out of the vent..

HT leads can also cause problems, check the resistances across the leads, should be <10Kohm. Replace if greater.

Will

took fuel cap off, no difference

still gets upto x amount of rpms and cuts out

so just to narrow down the problem a bit more, i rev it and when it gets to a certain rpm it cuts out, splutters you could say. im gonna take some pictures of a few things and any one let me know if i need to pay attention to, e.g. theres some thing in the throttle system ive never seen, since i normally drive the b25 motor.

ill get some shots now

heres some pics, not sure wat this is but can this cause this?

or still thinking fuel related ?

post-727-1202087419_thumb.jpg

Hello.

That is the cruise control as i dont have that. I had an idle problem when i first got the e30 325i and all i did to fix it was clean out the air intake around the butterfly value. Also the flexible pipe connections when loose also effect the flow, check that they are all tight.

Cheers

heres some pics, not sure wat this is but can this cause this?

or still thinking fuel related ?

That is an idle stabiliser, prevents the engine from cutting out if you blip the throttle or take your foot off the accelerator suddenly. Won't cause the problem you are having.

You may have a faulty air flow meter, see if you can borrow one from someone with the same engine as yours.

Will

Edited by will

thats cool. i have an identical 320, will see if when i swap the afm over if it stops the problem

what else do you reakon it will be ? could it be fuel pump ? or tho i do find it wierd that it cuts out only at a certain rpm like there is no problem accelerating to that rpm