Sign in to follow this  
Markq

E39 535i Advice

Hi,

Looking at a 535i E39 and wanting to know what faults to look for.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

Hi,

Looking at a 535i E39 and wanting to know what faults to look for.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

Mr E34 don't know much about E39. The main fault is the shape! Just kidding, the engine should be ok being Alusil, suppose the only thing i have heard is cooling system failures due to high pressure/temps etc.

Get a full BMW dealer inspection and speak personally to the tech that did the actual check and get his thoughts on the E39. Don't rely on any so called expert.

My 2 cents.

Edited by mr E34

How many k's has it done? E39's are well known for cooling system issues, well at least the V8's are. Just looking for a pdf with common faults will get back if I find it.

How many k's has it done? E39's are well known for cooling system issues, well at least the V8's are. Just looking for a pdf with common faults will get back if I find it.

Just on 200k. Has a religeous full service history, kiwi car with 2 owners.

With 200k's on the clock everything has been well used, i.e. wheel bearings, suspension shocks/bushes, fuel injectors/pump, exhaust etc etc so depending on work done this car would be a must for dealer check.Repairs can cost a fortune compared to the great value these cars are now.

With 200k's on the clock everything has been well used, i.e. wheel bearings, suspension shocks/bushes, fuel injectors/pump, exhaust etc etc so depending on work done this car would be a must for dealer check.Repairs can cost a fortune compared to the great value these cars are now.

ps. hope i'm not too negative on old cars but the advice i was given was to suspect its a pile of trouble till proved otherwise. Trust is good, SECURITY is better!

Whenever you're spending a good deal of money, an inspection is top of the list.

^^You're right, you can get some mint ones but if you get a sh*t one your life can be hell fixing things.

edit** spelling

Edited by Nick021

So same as my E34 then basically. Although this one has a service history, E34 did not. Ah well, brought it anyway. Even made money on the sale of my E34!!!!!!!

Whenever you're spending a good deal of money, an inspection is top of the list.

^^You're right, you can get some mint ones but if you get a sh*t one your life can be hell fixing things.

edit** spelling

Just had a full inspection 2 in september. Spoke to the dealer, they reckon its a well above average example. Will no doubt need some love, but hey, they all do.

Cheers all.

So same as my E34 then basically. Although this one has a service history, E34 did not. Ah well, brought it anyway. Even made money on the sale of my E34!!!!!!!

Hope all goes well, the E39 is a lot more complex compared to our old E34's.

I think from memory all the suspension arms are aluminium, must go like stink with a modern 3.5ltr V8.

Let us know what your thoughts are on the E39 after owning for 6mths.

Just had a full inspection 2 in september. Spoke to the dealer, they reckon its a well above average example. Will no doubt need some love, but hey, they all do.

Cheers all.

Was only $7k at an estate sale. Pretty good price really.

Was only $7k at an estate sale. Pretty good price really.

Thats cheap for N.Z. new.

Hope all goes well, the E39 is a lot more complex compared to our old E34's.

I think from memory all the suspension arms are aluminium, must go like stink with a modern 3.5ltr V8.

Let us know what your thoughts are on the E39 after owning for 6mths.

Yeah I know. Gonna miss the E34 and it pre raw feel, its exhaust note etc. But alas.... will get another one one day as a project. Wanna put a V12 in one, but need to save some pennies first, and not much point doing it to the current one as its simply too mint.

Thats cheap for N.Z. new.

my thoughts too. perhaps I should sell it for $10 and find a E34 540iS?

Another e39 owner hi, have a 530 myself and yes the v8's have a bad history of cooling system troubles. the pixels are another area to be aware of,headlight adjusting pivot mounts these are plastic and become brittle with age. Have a check on some of the US forums bimmerforum.com, bimmerfest, roadfly, etc may help you out cheers and happy motoring.

Hi, I have an E39 540. I had trouble with the "E39 shimmy" a well documented vibration through the steering wheel at about 70-80kph and also under braking. There are several websites giving advice on the cure eg bimmer.roadfly.com

Thrust arm bushes replaced along with new front discs and pads, new set of tyres to replace the Jap spec rubbish and alignment

If you read through some threads here there are a few of us who have solved the shimmy in various ways

Other than that its just the little annoying things like missing pixels and faded/scratched polycarb headlight lenses

Other than that the E39 is magic

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi, I have an E39 540. I had trouble with the "E39 shimmy" a well documented vibration through the steering wheel at about 70-80kph and also under braking. There are several websites giving advice on the cure eg bimmer.roadfly.com

Thrust arm bushes replaced along with new front discs and pads, new set of tyres to replace the Jap spec rubbish and alignment

If you read through some threads here there are a few of us who have solved the shimmy in various ways

Other than that its just the little annoying things like missing pixels and faded/scratched polycarb headlight lenses

Other than that the E39 is magic

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks Mike. looking forward to joining the clan of E39's (although wish it was an M5!! **sigh**)

Thanks Mike. looking forward to joining the clan of E39's (although wish it was an M5!! **sigh**)

you need big pockets for M5s at times Mark....//M cars parts can be very expensive!eg Discs can be three times the price of normal BMW's.... Hope the 535 went to a good home...

Mr E34 I can tell you a e 39 540 six speed feels very smooth and very powerful ALL THE TIME!

you need big pockets for M5s at times Mark....//M cars parts can be very expensive!eg Discs can be three times the price of normal BMW's.... Hope the 535 went to a good home...

Mr E34 I can tell you a e 39 540 six speed feels very smooth and very powerful ALL THE TIME!

Brought by a guy in Auckland. Owned a 535iS NZ New previously...... I reckon its got a good home.

On checking the Autosure warranty details for my wifes A4 (needs some work done) I also read that ///M series vehicles are also excluded from their warranties. Cost of ownership for an ///M can be crippling.

If you get one make sure you get a good warranty parts cost a bomb and i have had alot of trouble with my cooling system. I was Lucky i had a warranty to get it fixed for hardly anything. Proteca is a good company to get a warranty with. It may be expensive but it saves you alot of money in the long run.