Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

Engine Maintenance

Hello,

I have taken the gearbox and engine out of the 1986 e30 325i and because I don’t have any service record I wanted some advice as to what may need to be replaced and good products to use.

This is what I was going to do - oil and oil filter, coolant, fuel filter, air filter, gearbox oil, power steering fluid, clutch fluid and brake fluid.

The engine bay had a sticker with a picture of the timing belt cover and the miles done since then about 3,000. Is the cam belt usually done at the same time?

I was also going to give it a good scrub down so I can see if there are any leaks.

Since I have the gearbox off I am interested to know if there are any sport clutch plates and flywheels, just thought it would be a good idea to replace these since it is such an annoying job to get the gearbox off. Are there any websites to look at?

Cheers

Cam/timing belt the same thing, I would check it while engine is out. Depending on milage, probably replace cam belt, tensioner, water pump (needs cam belt off for that) - these all much easier when out.

Check oil leaks before cleaning or you will never see where it has come from (different story when engine still in & running)

I would suggest replacing all frost plugs while out - I have had to replace a few in place & some of them can be a real %$##^* to access in situ - easy when out.

I would also replace rear main seal, standard clutch quite OK IMO

Obviously repair any leaks you confirm while engine is out

Cam/timing belt the same thing, I would check it while engine is out. Depending on milage, probably replace cam belt, tensioner, water pump (needs cam belt off for that) - these all much easier when out.

Check oil leaks before cleaning or you will never see where it has come from (different story when engine still in & running)

I would suggest replacing all frost plugs while out - I have had to replace a few in place & some of them can be a real %$##^* to access in situ - easy when out.

I would also replace rear main seal, standard clutch quite OK IMO

Obviously repair any leaks you confirm while engine is out

Hello,

Good points to note, i have one questions on your answers, rear main seal? can you give me a pick maybe off the OEM site.

Cheers

Do the sump as well, dont use the cork gaskets they now supply. Clean block & sump with white spirits and use grey Eurothane sealant ( Panelbeating Supplies) Ring me for more info Ph.(09)2722546

Do not use sylicon

Cheers

Glenn