Sign in to follow this  
Busted

2.5 engine

hey guys my engine is getting a bit tired and things are starting to show burning oil etc i want it to go faster but i have no idea on how to do it or how much it costs im thinking a complete rebuild what do you think??

yes! do a rebuild thats wat im gunna do to mine and i would if i were u thats just my 2 cents anyway

kill a hsv??? hmmm how bout putting in a done up hsv engine??? :P

nah i dunno wat that would all cost aye some one here might be able to help you with the price side of things

My old mans a beamr fan owns a 2001 M5 and hes not much help either but his work car is a 2002 xr8 ute and we had a go from round 80 to 100ish and i cleaned him up so beating a base model hsv shouldnt be that much more work

oh ok good job!! yea i dont know much about holdens or anything less superior lol ^_^ but i guess its all possible with the rite money

andrew on here had a complete rebuild after an exhaust valve decided to drop itself into a cylinder....cost was c. 7g give or take, included a new set of pistons (1g) and blueprintiog, lightening crank, blueprinting and more (ask him for specifics if you want) why do you want to beat an hsv? if you want to beat a 300kW model nothing you can to the m20 will help that unless you go turbo....more along the lines of an engine swap seeing your in a similar postion to myself with a tired m20 no point in boosting it....but for serious power engine swap or other wise i would budget at least 7k

i hav no trouble to keep up and even beating a few ss holdens but they r about 70hp down on the hsv, mayb u should just look at a new set of rings and bearings if its getting a bit tired then look at getting the head rebuilt ported and a after maket cam, chip, a bigger throttle body, a bigger afm, exhaust and u should hav a very nice street setup on about $3500-4500 depending in wat parts u use, my 2cents

if you were keen for NA power i would go a link setup....ditch the afm completely and have adjustable ignition timing...adding that to a rebuild would be more effective than chip and bigger afm....but then more $$$...the best thing is you can use it on any car you ever get.....just need it reinstalled and tuned

Guest Andrew

My rebuild cost more like $4000 bucks for the motor...

its not worth it. You will not kill an HSV V8 at nearly any speed with the 35 year old 6 banger.

sd european do a 2 litre to 2.5 swap for e30's at a reasonable price. Add a 318is diff and z3 cooling baffle ( for the diff ) and it'll give an m3 of the same age a good run ( straight line only mind! ).

ah...where would you find an 318is diff? unless it an e36 one.....but what price do they charge?

Guest Andrew

ah...where would you find an 318is diff? unless it an e36 one.....but what price do they charge?

4.1 diff would be terrible - there is a writeup somewhere that compares the times with them - ends up slower overall.