Sign in to follow this  
CHCHBIMMA

Looks Like here is the right place to ask

A rejection for year 2000 323i (E46) from WOF workshop: Front Rear Suspension Arm Bushes Split both side.

Anyone could explain me the fucntion of the bushes? How serious is the problem? Where about could I get these replaced? Any idea about the cost?

Cheers

Polo

Assuming they mean the rear control arm bushing for the front arms, and it is genuinely damaged to the point that it's causing undesired play in the suspension, yes its bad. If worn and sloppy, it could cause undesirable handling.

How many km has the car done?

(edit) Function of the bushes is to locate the rear of the lower suspension arm. Being rubber, it will allow enough movement/compliance to reduce noise and vibration. If badly worn/split, it would allow the front hub to move forward/back changing caster and camber, which isn't a good thing.

Edited by CamB

I had a quick google - maybe they have a tendency to wear out that quick on E46s.

If/when you replace them, make sure you get the car aligned.

I guess we disagree what "front rear suspension arm bushing" means ;)

There are three "arms" in the rear suspension on each side,

Nah you misunderstand me. I think it is the front lower suspension arm, rear bushing - the "caster bushing", which apparently (so google tells me) often wears out on E46s prematurely.

If its the rear suspension bushing then I agree with you.