Sign in to follow this  
keen

e30 cam pully bolt what size

just into taking off the head for a new head gasket and have come across first obstacle is that a torx head on the cam bolt? can I get away without having to take off any further bits in front? or does the fan pulley need to come off and associated covers? what size is the cam bolt socket that I will need to buy?

torx is an e12, what type of motor, m20 or m40 etc?

Sorry that was an oversite its a m40 1990 chassis no 3300015

Quite an involved task, you do need to take all the front off to get at the cambelt, should change it while you're there. See this site for details, http://ee1394.com/bmw/docs/factory/repair/en/index1.htm

Click on main groups, then engine, then M40, then check out "toothed drive belt - replace", and "Cylinder head gasket - replace", sections.

Edited by Silver Fox

Quite an involved task, you do need to take all the front off to get at the cambelt, should change it while you're there. See this site for details, http://ee1394.com/bmw/docs/factory/repair/en/index1.htm

Click on main groups, then engine, then M40, then check out "toothed drive belt - replace", and "Cylinder head gasket - replace", sections.

thankyou for posting the site but I cannot open anything could you tell me how please? also with the m40 head sitting on my workbench I was going to turn the camshaft and put the gearwheel back on to turn it and noticed the movement of around one tooth . this will affect the timing when being put back together as I expected that to be a keyed on tight fit so as to help with the timing of the camshaft. this now looks like a situation of in the assembly adjusting the cam wheel a few degrees +/- and that I will need some sort of BMW tool to lock the cam into a position before fixing the gearwheel onto the camshaft.is this correct and if so how can this be done at home?