Sign in to follow this  
Yuen

Confessions of an auto mechanic

Scum bags in every profession to one degree or another Yuen.

Scum bags in every profession to one degree or another Yuen.

I totally agree, in no way was I suggesting that all mechanics are like that - I posted it up for discussion.

I personally think such practice may be more common in some other countries where competition is more cutthroat and more people shop based on price than in NZ. And I suppose you pay for what you get!

Yeah there's always gonna be someone dishonest out there trying to make a quick buck.

Ive been an mechanic for close to 10 years now and believe me, Ive heard some shocking stories in my time.

Its true that you get what you pay for, and a Good reputation is something to look out for.

I heard stories recently of a local repair agent, who was carrying out fraudulent warranty claims on vehicles. He (lucky for his customers) was fitting the new parts into their cars, and was then selling the "faulty" second hand parts off to local wreckers. Making $$$ on the warranty claims and then More $$$ when he sold off the parts.

Needless to say I only caught wind of this because, he got caught red handed.

The automotive industry is getting more and more competitive and this is probably, IMO, what drives some of these guys to do such foolish things. We all just need to keep our eyes peeled and if your ever unsure, get a second opinion.