Sign in to follow this  
Mike

M10 and M30 similarities

I'm looking to put a crank position sensor onto my M10. Looking at glenns conversion thread I see the M30 has a toothed wheel and sensor that would be suitable. Given that the two motors are quite similar does anyone know if the M30 wheel can easily be made to fit the M10?

Also, I need to upgrade the radiator as I'm overheating. The M10 doesn't run an expansion tank like the M20 so I'm not exactly sure how bolting an M20 radiator in would work. Again, as the M30 is similar I'm guessing I could swap over enough parts to sort out and upgraded cooling system?

any body clued up on both of these motors to know what parts can be swapped?

Mike

I'm looking to put a crank position sensor onto my M10. Looking at glenns conversion thread I see the M30 has a toothed wheel and sensor that would be suitable. Given that the two motors are quite similar does anyone know if the M30 wheel can easily be made to fit the M10?

Also, I need to upgrade the radiator as I'm overheating. The M10 doesn't run an expansion tank like the M20 so I'm not exactly sure how bolting an M20 radiator in would work. Again, as the M30 is similar I'm guessing I could swap over enough parts to sort out and upgraded cooling system?

any body clued up on both of these motors to know what parts can be swapped?

Mike

M10's...are like 10-15 yrs ago

The m30 has an 8 bolt crank flange I think M10 is 6. I dont think engine balance would be correct without balancing as well.

M10"s arent motronic either... so a Link ECU would need to be used. An engineer could make one for you. Would cost a bit though. 60-2 tooth system. So long as it was accurate.

M20 radiator and expansion tank would help and so would diode switching for the AC electric fan if it has one...or get one

M10's...are like 10-15 yrs ago

The m30 has an 8 bolt crank flange I think M10 is 6. I dont think engine balance would be correct without balancing as well.

M10"s arent motronic either... so a Link ECU would need to be used. An engineer could make one for you. Would cost a bit though. 60-2 tooth system. So long as it was accurate.

M20 radiator and expansion tank would help and so would diode switching for the AC electric fan if it has one...or get one

I'm running Megasquirt, wanting to go with proper ignition control. I could use VR sensor in dizzy but runs off cam so isn't that accurate. I just saw that 60-2 wheel on the M30 and wondered if it would bolt up easily, could save me a lot of hassle. Otherwise I'll probably go with an EDIS 36-1 wheel, pretty sure others have made those fit.

As for cooling, Its only the standard viscous fan. I was more after a larger radiator, as its mainly highway running after a long period of time, not a low speed issue. A larger electric fan is definately on the shopping list though.

I'm not too sure how the M20 stuff would work with the M10, hence moving onto M30 compatability.

I'm running Megasquirt, wanting to go with proper ignition control. I could use VR sensor in dizzy but runs off cam so isn't that accurate. I just saw that 60-2 wheel on the M30 and wondered if it would bolt up easily, could save me a lot of hassle. Otherwise I'll probably go with an EDIS 36-1 wheel, pretty sure others have made those fit.

As for cooling, Its only the standard viscous fan. I was more after a larger radiator, as its mainly highway running after a long period of time, not a low speed issue. A larger electric fan is definately on the shopping list though.

I'm not too sure how the M20 stuff would work with the M10, hence moving onto M30 compatability.

Mike

I have an EDIS toothed ring and sensor from this guy:

http://home.earthlink.net/~beanbooger/boost_engineering/

There are plenty of examples of M10s adapted to work with these over at www.bmw2002faq.com (which I'm sure youve seen).

I'm actually happy to sell it - I'm never going to use the thing. I paid NZ$75 for it by the time it was here. Would sell for that.

Mike

I have an EDIS toothed ring and sensor from this guy:

http://home.earthlink.net/~beanbooger/boost_engineering/

There are plenty of examples of M10s adapted to work with these over at www.bmw2002faq.com (which I'm sure youve seen).

I'm actually happy to sell it - I'm never going to use the thing. I paid NZ$75 for it by the time it was here. Would sell for that.

cool, I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah I seen a few way of doing it, I just prefer to use OEM solutions if possible.