Sign in to follow this  
MADBMA

engine idleing bad

i no this subject has been done to death, but i just want your thoughts, ive had a bad idle and hesitation in throttle response at times in my 94 e36 318is for awhile now, today i decided to rip off the intake manifold and clean the idle control valve, didnt have carby cleaner so used CRC.

i also took my aftermarket pod filter off and replaced with stock, which seems to have fixed the hesitation problems.

im still getting a bad idle thoe, its not a eratic jumping up and down idle it stays at a steady 700rpm but the engines bouncing around everywhere and just sounds really bad, pretty sure that what ever i did has made it worse,

ive had no check engine lights up.

any help as where to go next would be good,

after searching google, i think it comes down to knock sensors, a new idle control valve or the O2 sensors

anyone got any thoughts?

I'm sure you will hear this from elsewhere, but you should get it scanned at a dealer or decent independent (like Botanymotorworx), then you will know exactly what is wrong, rather than guessing, as it could be a lot of things.

In my car it was the Cam Position Sensor (found when the car was scanned), causing the bad idle.

Cheers

Grant

I'm sure you will hear this from elsewhere, but you should get it scanned at a dealer or decent independent (like Botanymotorworx), then you will know exactly what is wrong, rather than guessing, as it could be a lot of things.

In my car it was the Cam Position Sensor (found when the car was scanned), causing the bad idle.

Cheers

Grant

i thought that scanner only picks things up if your check engine light is up?

i thought that scanner only picks things up if your check engine light is up?

Not all the time. Get it scanned first. If your car has a AFM and not a AMS it could also be the the vane sticking in the housing (common problem). You can open them and clean them out....but its best left to someone who knows what they are doing.

AFM= Air flow meter....vane type

AMS= Air mass sensor.. hotwire type