Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Manual Conversion

Hey guys, been doing the manual conversion on blair's E30. Ok we have pretty much everything sorted out i have the box in and the drive shaft all bolted up. Wired the automatic shifter connector so the motor turns over, clutch lines all hooked up, pedal box done etc...

Heres the prob: Went to turn the car over with the orignal 320i automatic starter motor and the starter motors teeth just grinded on the flywheels teeth. So we thought ok must have to use the manual gearbox starter motor to fix the problem... put the manual gearbox starter motor in and it did the same thing.. does anyone know what the correct starter motor to use is?

- We are using a Getrag 260 gearbox out of a 323i pre-facelift E30

- The clutch, flywheel and pressure plate is off the 323i pre-facelift E30 also

- This gear is bolting onto a 320i facelift E30

Would a manual gearbox starter motor off a facelift E30 be different from a manual gearbox starter motor off a pre-facelift? STUMPED haha

Theres always something that will bring you to a complete halt in your progress agreed everyone? Oh well part of the process I guess, any help much appreciated and if anyone has the correct starter motor for sale could you please PM me asap.

Cheers, Luke

didnt put the spacer ring on the wrong side of the flywheel or something did you?

Edited by Brennan

I know there are 2 types of starter motors, large ones and small ones and they have different pinions on them.

didnt put the spacer ring on the wrong side of the flywheel or something did you?

Woops... I think i did bro. I put the spacer on the clutch side of the flywheel not the crankshaft side lol that explains it. The teeth on the starter motor must be only half on the flywheel right?

I know there are 2 types of starter motors, large ones and small ones and they have different pinions on them.

I got the big one on that used to be on the gearbox that we are using so ill stick with that one i think?

Cheers dudes :)

Woops... I think i did bro. I put the spacer on the clutch side of the flywheel not the crankshaft side lol that explains it. The teeth on the starter motor must be only half on the flywheel right?

I got the big one on that used to be on the gearbox that we are using so ill stick with that one i think?

Cheers dudes :)

na clutch side is the right way. Would be pretty tricky to put it on the other way id think lol

I would think there would be no problems using the starter motor off the 323i with the 323i gearbox and flywheel. I feel for you I hate little frustrating things like this!

Not sure what you have done here. If spacer was on crank side then flywheel would be further away & make the problem worse -starter pinion mesh would be shallower.

Starters are the same - manual to auto & early (big) to late (small) -either fit all.

Pinion size is smaller on late unit but it is offset closer to center in front bracket so meshes the same.

One thought - Did the flywheel seat properly when bolting up to the crank?

na clutch side is the right way. Would be pretty tricky to put it on the other way id think lol

I would think there would be no problems using the starter motor off the 323i with the 323i gearbox and flywheel. I feel for you I hate little frustrating things like this!

Yea thats what i thought because the starter motor goes with that gearbox and it turned the motor over when it was in the other car.. yea hate stupid things like this lol frustrating as!

Not sure what you have done here. If spacer was on crank side then flywheel would be further away & make the problem worse -starter pinion mesh would be shallower.

Starters are the same - manual to auto & early (big) to late (small) -either fit all.

Pinion size is smaller on late unit but it is offset closer to center in front bracket so meshes the same.

One thought - Did the flywheel seat properly when bolting up to the crank?

Yea man flywheel is seated properly... cant understand what could be wrong here :S

Is the starter motor tighened up properly on it's dowel? If it binds slightly on the dowel and doesn't go in straight then you can get this problem. The starter ends up on a slight angle, hardly noticeable, but enough to make it miss the ring gear.

Another thought - have you fitted the backing plate between engine & box?

Is the starter motor tighened up properly on it's dowel? If it binds slightly on the dowel and doesn't go in straight then you can get this problem. The starter ends up on a slight angle, hardly noticeable, but enough to make it miss the ring gear.

Yea we cant get that 17mm bolt in the other end of the starter motor the one that goes into the side of the block because the hole in the starter motor mount is about 3mm lower than the hole in the side of the block..

Another thought - have you fitted the backing plate between engine & box?

And yup we fitted the backing plate and its all in position properly im sure..

That's your problem then, the starter's the right one, the backing plate is in the wrong place, I,ve had the same problem when I only had one locating thing on the motor, and the backing plate moved about 2 mm, just enough to misalign the starter. Had to back off the box and shift the backing plate until I could get the starter bolts both in first, then tighten the rest up.

I have both bolts going through the bellhousing and through the starter motor though... and they are both tight. I would have thought if the backing plate wasnt lined up properly that all the bolts through the bellhousing would not have gone through?

Its the other big bolt at the other end of the starter motor (at the wiring end) that bolts to the side of the block that isnt going in. I guess if thats the case though then the starter motor obviously isnt lined up properly hence the problem?

Yeah, makes sense, if the back of the starter went up to line up the hole, the pinion will be going down, which will help the engagement.

Yeah, makes sense, if the back of the starter went up to line up the hole, the pinion will be going down, which will help the engagement.

+1

OT Boost Junky the girl in you sig is smoking!!

Yea mint we sorted it :D losened all the box off and starter motor got the front bolt in first then did it all back up again now she starts! Only one problem once the starter motor has fired the motor up it makes a real high pitch buzzzzzzz noise like its skimming on the gears of the flywheel when it falls away from the flywheel...

+1

OT Boost Junky the girl in you sig is smoking!!

Haha damn straight bud ;)

Depending on the noise - it may be the starter hanging in mesh somehow or a dry bush in the front starter bracket cause a buzzzzzz (as you describe) noise on windown. The first senario would be a much harsher noise.

Getting closer now though.

Take a note from this though - if one bolt doesen't line up - there is a reason:-

Yea probably more of a real fast grinding noise when the starter motor winds back down its a harsh noise not nice at all lol. Yea everythings done just gotta get a new clutch line and shes done