Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Recondition/replace/clean injectors

Do the e30 320i injectors require periodic cleaning or replacement? I have heard that replacing the seals is a must do maintenance item but have not heard of anyone actually doing anything else to them. The reason I am asking is that I suspect that one or more may be leaking and contributing to hard hot starting. Is this something I should talk to the BMW agent about and does anyone know what sorts of costs are involved?

when I built my race car engine as a precaution I had the injectors flow tested and cleaned at shore performance, cost about $25 per injector.

generally they don't cause problems unless you have no fuel filter or something haha. ... however if you have your fuel rail off and are replacing your seals, I would recommend getting them flow tested atleast for peace of mind.

Brent

We have an injector cleaning machine at work

With it you can flush, check flow rates & compare, check spray pattern, check for leakdown. Then put in ultrasonic bath

Yes, they should be serviced, but usually aren't, normally replace seals, pintel caps & filter baskets at the same time

As Ollie said - around $25 -30 per injector (seals vary in price)

No need to replace unless they cant be bought back to spec

Well worth doing - most times an improvement will be noticed