Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Kiwi Plates

I had a 1999 Porsche convertible a while back, had a NZ plate and just yesterday seen an E60 like mine with one on it. They look bloody good imo, so was wondering if people sold just normal ie BY6518 (example) as a kiwi plate and how much they were perhaps 2nd hand if they were available? Really just not prepared to spend $699!

They used to be bloody cheap a few years back...

They used to be bloody cheap a few years back...

I know... the good old days. I should have bought them when they were $300+! That was the cheapest I'd ever seen them, were they ever cheaper?

10 years ago it was $300 when I bought the first personalised plate. Can't remember what's before that.

Yep, I remember them being about $250-$300 - Not quite sure how they justify a increase like that...

Thanks for that Nick, so I take it you just submit the plate # you currently have and then order one of those? Works out a country mile cheaper!

Edited by Deeveus525i

Thanks for that Nick, so I take it you just submit the plate # you currently have and then order one of those? Works out a country mile cheaper!

Yep, exactly that. Just give them your plate number, order the style you want and it turns up in two to three weeks. Works out about $80 from memory. Thats without plate holders, so you don't have to drill through the plate.

There have been some debates about how legal they are, I think it came to; if they're not made by LTSA they're not legal. But soo many people have them, including soo many on here, and its unlikely you'd get caught.

Have spoken to someone who owns a WOF testing station and he says that they have to be of a size & just have to be reflective. When ordering do I need to order two or is it classed as a "pair" when ordering?

Good as gold. Have made my order.

Cheers for the help :)

Ordered two plates ofcourse, two chrome backing plates & two sets of screws.

Can't wait, it should look smart on the black bimmer!

Edited by Deeveus525i

Hi, ordered below:

Posted Image

Two of these chrome backing plates

Posted Image

Two packs of screws with the wee gromits to hide the screws lol

Posted Image

Bugger, just realised you can have a NZ plate!!!!!!!!!!

Bugger, just realised you can have a NZ plate!!!!!!!!!!

Just shoot them an email to change your order, should be sweet :) I think they have the black fern style too.

Just shoot them an email to change your order, should be sweet :) I think they have the black fern style too.

Yeah I did that without hesitation before I made the post here. Stupid bugger lol!

Yes they have black fern.

Just got this response from them:

Hello,

we no longer sell those NZ plates as they are copyrighted by www.plates.co.nz

We had to remove them immediately from our website.

Also our recent sold NZ plates are not road legal as they dont have

the NZ plate font and are not NZ govt approved. We sell them as

show plates only although many NZers use them without problems.

All i can do for you is producing the german plates and send you

the NZ stickers but you have to place them yourself on the plates.

We are no lomger allowed to do this.

greetings from Germany

Chris

sales@germanplates.com

personalised plates are cunning bastards. Putting the stop on these for copyright infringement.

Load of bollocks. The new toll cameras on the northern motorway extension are going to catch a few people with these plates I'd say.

personalised plates are cunning bastards. Putting the stop on these for copyright infringement.

Load of bollocks. The new toll cameras on the northern motorway extension are going to catch a few people with these plates I'd say.

Hahahaha!

Some freebies then. I can neither confirm nor deny for obvious reasons that I have ordered a plate...

Just another way of the NZ Govt keeping things inhouse...

It really brings home the question of: How does NZ Plates justify a $750 difference???

It really brings home the question of: How does NZ Plates justify a $750 difference???

Greed

LTNZ has been trialling cameras to read your plates for about 4 years now, hence the chance in size and font of the new plates.

It will be the next big thing in tracking those without WOF's, Rego's etc and in cutting down the 40% error rate in speed tickets, because they are still read by someone with a magnifying glass !

LTNZ has been trialling cameras to read your plates for about 4 years now, hence the chance in size and font of the new plates.

It will be the next big thing in tracking those without WOF's, Rego's etc and in cutting down the 40% error rate in speed tickets, because they are still read by someone with a magnifying glass !

My mate kieran got a ticket for having his number plate on the side of his bodykit (reason being a speed camera wouldnt be able to read it)

well.. the next day when he went 85kph past a speed camera (50k area) it read it fine.

he went to court and disputed it all and came out $1000 better off and let off the ticket and the speeding fine, he said he was just prooving a point and the judge gave it to him!

Please explain

The new motorway extension from orewa to waiwera tunnnels is going to be a toll road. It is going to be automated with number plate reading cameras - been in the paper a few times now.

The new motorway extension from orewa to waiwera tunnnels is going to be a toll road. It is going to be automated with number plate reading cameras - been in the paper a few times now.

Heard about those <_< Any idea how much it'll cost?