Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

M40 Cambelt

Hi Guys,

My e30 ('88 318i) needs a new cambelt (as the last one was done 8 years ago - yikes) and I have been quoted approx $480 from JCBMW and around $700 from the local Garage (Nissan dealer - but does alot of Peugeots + VWs too). I was just wondering, how much should one of these (of course replacing waterpump and those bits at the same time) cost? Should I expect around $550? Any recommendations on places to go or advice would be great - I just need a half-decent courtesy car (I don't mind paying).

Cheers,

Eddy

If you're prepared to drive to Auckland, Glenn at Botanymotorworx has done a great job on my car in teh past.

I'm needing to do this to my M40 soon also.

Are those quotes including the bearings being replaced? W/pump? etc.

I'm needing to do this to my M40 soon also.

Are those quotes including the bearings being replaced? W/pump? etc.

Apparantly they are.

Correct me if im wrong, but m40, last i heard is chain driven,

You a corrected !! sorry you are wrong. M40 is belt driven. M10 is chain driven

M40 cambelts must be replaced every 40,000km, M20 every 60,000km or 5 years which ever occurs first

$400- $500 is about right dependant on what is required.

Cambelt

Water pump

Idler rollers

Tensioner

Rocker cover gasket

Coolant

+ Labour & GST

Could also need distributor cap & rotor too

If you need a good courtesy car, go to JC BMW. I think its about $50 a day to have the car and a $5000 excess if you crash/damage it. I took my car in to JC to get a service done last week, I think I need to get my water pump changed soon as I was told it has a minor leak so will need to be done eventually, too bad I only changed the cam belt in May last year

If you need a good courtesy car, go to JC BMW. I think its about $50 a day to have the car and a $5000 excess if you crash/damage it. I took my car in to JC to get a service done last week, I think I need to get my water pump changed soon as I was told it has a minor leak so will need to be done eventually, too bad I only changed the cam belt in May last year

Will they rent it to anyone? Or only over 21s? I might have to get my parents to come with me.

I dont know most people just tend not to get our courtesty cars becasue of the costs or if you crash etc. You might need a full liscence, but I dont know. Ive never had to pay for courtesy car :) But I dont think taking your parents along will be much help if you are the one that will be driving it. Do you really need a nice courtesy car that much?

Edited by RJS

I have a quick related question that is not worthy of a new thread.

Cambelt

Water pump

Idler rollers

Tensioner

Rocker cover gasket

Coolant

+ Labour & GST

What numbers are the "idler rollers' and 'tensioner' in this diagram?