Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

E34 M60B40 PCV - rough idle issue

Guest Simon*

Hi guys

The 540 is idling pretty rough at the moment and running a bit rich. After having a nosey round the forums it seems (to me at least) that I have potential vacuum leak. A weak point in the system seems to be the oil separator or PCV on the rear of the manifold.

Has anyone struck this, and more importantly could anyone give me any hints for identifying the bits I'm looking for and diagnosing the problem?

Cheers

Si

Chassis #: WBAHES2060BK35082

Edited by Simon*

yes they crap out . i have one

or could be afm or idle control valve .

I was under the impression that a failing pcv is accompanied by clouds of oil smoke...Martyn(penry) had this on the 740...(albeit m62??)

Guest Simon*

I was under the impression that a failing pcv is accompanied by clouds of oil smoke...Martyn(penry) had this on the 740...(albeit m62??)

That's catastrophic failure I believe - mine is now confirmed to be leaking/slowly failing

So in she goes for a replacement

my dad's e38 740i is like this as well .. just started.. took it to mechanic.. problem was a membrane leakage at da back of the engine which seeps out vacuum air ... had to replace it ... 180+ for da part ... =/ mechanic took it out and it was so brittle that most of it crumbled

Dan has just had his PCV cleaned and it didn't fix the issue. He then found that the piping from the AFM to the motor had a small leak in it, so air was by-passing the AFM.

My 318ti M44 has the same problem only when it warms up.

Being a naturally lazy begger I'm unsure on what to look for so if any one has any ideas let me know.

Sorry for hijacking your thread :o

My 318ti M44 has the same problem only when it warms up.

Being a naturally lazy begger I'm unsure on what to look for so if any one has any ideas let me know.

For "naturally lazy begger" there's a perfect solution: take the car to the garage.

The naturally hardworking garage will fix it, whilst you sloth around on the couch at home :-)

For "naturally lazy begger" there's a perfect solution: take the car to the garage.

The naturally hardworking garage will fix it, whilst you sloth around on the couch at home :-)

And the naturally hardworking garage will see the BMW badge and up the charges :lol:

Yes I will have a look at the intake hose like all the others have trouble with.

Hope the mechanical warranty will take care of it. lol