Sign in to follow this  
_Alan_

E36 Starting Problem..

Hey guys,

Was driving my mum's '95 E36 320i tonight.. But as I was leaving my sister's place the thing had touble startng - I turned the key to start the car and the car almost started but I felt the engine vibrating and the revs just jumping around 500-1000..

The red lights pretty much remained on.. I tried another couple of times and the same thing happened, the car just stuttered, engine vibrated and failed to start..

Tried about the 4th/5th time and it started prefectly as if nothing happened.. Car has only done 100,000k's .. I've heard of starters failing on e36's but this seemed more like an air and fuel problem.. ? But I'm really not sure...

I was wandering if anyone else has had a problem similar to this, or if anyone can offer me some advice on what to check out .. I might take a look at the air filter ..

I believe the engine is an M52B20..

Thanks guys - any help would be much appreciated

Alan

Edited by E30schnitzer

Hi Alan

Welcome to the shuddering e36 club!

Mines doing the same thing. I start the car, the revs drop to about 500 the engine shudders and revs increase to 1000 or so before dropping again. I know of other people who have the same problem!

I actually spoke to a BMW Tech yesterday about it and from what ive been told its normally the throttle control valve which is under the inlet manafold. Either give it a clean out or replace it.

Im going to look at getting mine fixed in the next month or so.

In the mean time when you start the car just put you foot on the accelerator a little to stop it dropping to the low revs.

Id appreciate others input on this too.

Cheers

Brett

Hi Alan

Welcome to the shuddering e36 club!

Mines doing the same thing. I start the car, the revs drop to about 500 the engine shudders and revs increase to 1000 or so before dropping again. I know of other people who have the same problem!

I actually spoke to a BMW Tech yesterday about it and from what ive been told its normally the throttle control valve which is under the inlet manafold. Either give it a clean out or replace it.

Im going to look at getting mine fixed in the next month or so.

In the mean time when you start the car just put you foot on the accelerator a little to stop it dropping to the low revs.

Id appreciate others input on this too.

Cheers

Brett

Hey Brett,

Thank's for that man.. Faulty control valve sounds about right on this one..

Alan.

If you manage to resolve the problem let me know what you ended up doing. I would be interested to find out.

Cheers

If you manage to resolve the problem let me know what you ended up doing. I would be interested to find out.

Cheers

In the meantime I have left it and for the last couple of days since it happened the car has been starting great.. I imagine it will happen from time to time though.. I will let you know what we end up doing if we decide to check it out anytime soon..

Alan

Before you guys go spending hundreds of dollars check the air intake pipe between the intake and the air box. It may have a small split in it which can cause the car to surge exactly as you guys are saying. It has happened to me twice on E30's, and has also happened on an FX-GT. You may have to pull the hose off and check for splits,mine have always split on the corrugations where the bends are, which can be quite hard to find.

hmmmmm interesting. I think ill have a look at it tomorrow to see if thats the problem.

Cheers

Before you guys go spending hundreds of dollars check the air intake pipe between the intake and the air box. It may have a small split in it which can cause the car to surge exactly as you guys are saying. It has happened to me twice on E30's, and has also happened on an FX-GT. You may have to pull the hose off and check for splits,mine have always split on the corrugations where the bends are, which can be quite hard to find.

Thanks zenetti, turns out the air intake pipe was cracked underneath.. Spot on mate...

Thanks for the help

Alan

That's good to know. Im definatly having a look at mine tonight. Hopefully I can fide the problem.

Thanks zenetti, turns out the air intake pipe was cracked underneath.. Spot on mate...

Thanks for the help

Alan

No probs Alan,

glad you got it sorted..... sometimes those mechanics can be quite greedy buggers,, present sponsors excluded of course! :P

hey guys,

having the same trouble with my car m50 320i 95 e36...

hard to start the damn thing everytime.. gotta press on the gas while starting.... getting annoying.. and its putting a strain on the good ole bmw battery and if it keeps on going like this starter might lose it =/ 3 days of no use then tried to start car batt was struggling ...

Edited by Docile