Sign in to follow this  
535i_E34_90

535i Project - M5

What I was trying to do was build my 535i into something closer to an M5.

And wouldn't you believe it, I now have an M5, catch is, cannot be registered in NZ for another 8 years (when 20yrs old and is considered a classic and is exempt from frontal impact rules - 2002) and it's LHD, it came from Saudi Arabia.

Last of the hand built M5's, has special trimmings that are "Naghi 1992", Naghi Motors are BMW distributors Saudi Arabia - thats why there is red seat belts, red M5 steering wheel, red bits all over the place.

So - a little homework later. Correct me if I'm wrong. The 535i was more or less finished on the production line and taken away to M factory where one technician (apparantly they worked in teams sometimes) finished the car to M5 status - engine, interior, suspension etc.

Over the next coming months, all relevant M5 parts, sus, driveline, etc etc.....I'm turning my 535i into a M5, unfortunately it becomes a 535i - Modified, can never be registered as M5, but at least I'll know it's no different - in essence it is an M5, just won't have VIN as.

Here's a pic of the latest E34 - now brings the count to 6, but some shall be sold in due course. I have 530i and 525i - both manuals - will let people know if keen.

cheers

MJ

post-9-1088816304.jpg

just drive it....would it not be easier to convert over to RHD....prob not...what are the penalties for driving a LHD car? looks awesome...e34 m5s are beautiful pieces of machinery

or 'borrow' another e34 m5 rego.....only problem is finding one....

Guest Spargo

I would kill a first born child to get my hands on that motor and gear box.

just drive it....would it not be easier to convert over to RHD....prob not...what are the penalties for driving a LHD car? looks awesome...e34 m5s are beautiful pieces of machinery

The old girl is non compliant - all E34's after 2002 (good old LTSA).

Thats why if I want to enjoy it I need to swap over to 535i, not as bad as it sounds, suspension drops out sweet as, electrical is the same as 535 - as 535 was base for M5 and then swap inside - all of a sudden I have an identical "black" M5......can be registered as "535i Modified M5" - as it will need compliance.

The only other option (if I can establish this is in fact one of 8 prepped for Naghi Motors in the world) and one of you blokes father is the Director of the LTSA (he/she is the only person in NZ that can exempt any vehicle under law) - then we have a way. If it is one of 8 or 12 - as seller believes, then this is a very real option, I then need a classic car museum to back me in convincing the Directory it's a great idea to register this thing here for Roadshow and car meet purposes and also so I can blow the arse off skylines and the like as Rotorua is full of them.

Though the 535i gives those boys a hell of fright anyway

I would kill a first born child to get my hands on that motor and gear box.

I took it for a drive last night - a little strange changing gear with right hand.

But - kick it in the arse 2nd gear - 20km - 120km and the bloody thing just wants to fly, and on song sounds lovely - just the ultimate wolf in sheeps clothing.

Finally confirmed some things - it is a 3.8l, there was some doubt as to 3.6 or 3.8 being 1992, but this thing is 3.8l - part of the special release model for Naghi Motors, has K&N filter and filter charger and chipped, unsure if this to was part and parcel, Naghi Motors car info when first sold to private buyer in 1994 (750km on it) - rated as 255kw, appr 350hp....sweet

I would hate to think what it could run with a change in diff, likely I'll do that too at some stage, as not often you get the opportunity to rock round at 250km/hr

If i was you id build the 535 upto m5 spec, because having a dormant m5 sitting aroung for years should be a crime. Ill keep an eye out for a revoltingly fast 535 aswell. those poor skyline boys, haha.