Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

520d beats Prius

Have a read of this months NZ Autocar. Page 29 "in the field" to be exact.

A VW Passat Variant Blue motion, driven Auckland-Wellington-Auckland at normal road speeds and they achieved it doing 4.8l/100km. 1290km on a tank, with enough fuel left over to get to Whangarei.

Not the power and style of a 5 series, but let's hope it helps fewer people buy a shitty hybrid.

Edited by Cain

Hybrid is a good concept, but I personally believe they've been way over marketed & left out the actual facts vs European diesel technology. Mates X5 3.0d achieves 1000km per tank of diesel which basically makes it cheaper to run than a Corolla and it's a rather large vehicle & twice the power of a Corolla also.

The concept may be good but the physics, execution and reality are crap.

Take one small engine - petrol or diesel- take one small motor electric and combine them to make one overweight tank that neither engine can cope with, then:

Expect the buying public to drive like a bunch of neutered nannas so they can meet the ridiculous efficiency claims based on unrealistic tests in seriously biased conditions.

If the 520 D gave the Prius a hiding imagine what a 120 D would do

If fossil fueled cars are doomed then making them drag around an extra 300kg of batteries is not going to save them.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Mate that sums it up totally. I think they put a 1.5 litre petrol engine in the MK1 Prius anyway, which with 800 tones of AA batteries makes it about as economical as a Falcon & as quick as a golf cart.

Would be very interested to see the figures compared to the 120d BMW & VW seem to have it nailed with their diesel technology!

120d's are awesome to drive, great handling and quicker than the usual petrol 120i. And they are cheap to buy brand new, Id buy one

Dam i would love 1000km + per tank from my car.

ROFL

You'd be lucky to scratch 300km?

Hybrid is a good concept, but I personally believe they've been way over marketed & left out the actual facts vs European diesel technology. Mates X5 3.0d achieves 1000km per tank of diesel which basically makes it cheaper to run than a Corolla and it's a rather large vehicle & twice the power of a Corolla also.

km/tank is not really a very useful unit is it. The interweb indicates that an X5 has an 85 litre fuel tank - our Mazda 6 (2.3 petrol) would do 1000km if it had a tank that size.

Not a fan of hybrids. I've been told that the cost and lifespan of the batteries means that hybrids basically have a lifespan of 10 years - hard to see how that is environmentally friendly.

ROFL

You'd be lucky to scratch 300km?

haha Ive got 430km from a tank before (Definitely not driving conservatively)

I think ill get around 500km from the tank (55litres) with the diff change from 3.73 to 3.25

Pretty good for a V8 with a small tank

Just drove conservatively from Wellington to Whangarei (SH4 & SH3) two weekends ago, 65L tank, filled up in Petone, filled up 2nd time at the BP near Pukekohe turnoff and the tank took < 55L, is ~600k drive.

That's what I have in my factory turbo-charged car at the moment.

In stop-start driving I got 860kms on the last tank

Currently I have 290kms and just over 1/4 of the tank used.

And that's all with city and a bit of motorway driving.

If I hold the revs low so the turbo doesn't kick in I can apparently get more.....

Has anyone tried the 118d yet? Better fuel economy, and will be miles ahead of the VW in driving dynamics.

I know there aren't any luggage or leg room for rear passengers, but it ain't for taxi service so why give a toss?

I drove it more aggressively than usual, and couldn't get it past 6l/100km overall.

Thank god it beat it, why is it that with some of these hybrids the styling isn't even looked at by designers! I wouldnt want to be seen dead in a Prius :D

Edited by Chris C