Sign in to follow this  
Gus

M42 into 2002

I am curious, has anyone got any links to anyone who has done this?

If the s14 can fit I imagine the M42 can, curious to see how much custom work is required?

and what sort of engineering is needed to make them handle power, can any e30 stuff be used? I have never worked on an 02 before

If the s14 can fit I imagine the M42 can, curious to see how much custom work is required?

and what sort of engineering is needed to make them handle power, can any e30 stuff be used? I have never worked on an 02 before

Here ya go.

I'm doing one down here.

An M42 is only slightly more horsepower than a 2002tii, so basically the tii mods would be good enough:

- reinforced (boxed) rear trailing arms

- the front struts are slightly heaver, although I wouldn't have thought this was an issue

- 4 pot calipers I think

I think those were the main changes. In addition:

- you'll need to sort out some sort of vented brakes if you plan on going fast - I've got tii calipers with a spacer (makes them the same as - I think - early 5 series brakes) with e21 4 stud rotors

- the suspension could do with an upgrade.

Basically you'd be doing the stuff that people normally do to a 2002 when they make it faster - generally e30 stuff doesn't fit (although username 2002 in Pukekohe has grafted E30 stuff in). Try www.bmw2002.com and see the parts offered (eg brake kits, suspension in the tech section, etc). My biggest recommendation would be to get a shorter ratio diff, with LSD if you're getting serious since they spin the inside rear wheel when you start stiffening them up.

Assuming you sort out engine and gearbox mount, a custom propshaft (probably), a custom exhaust and other piping, and convert to an EFI fuel pump (google for 2002 and megasquirt to find options on this) ... then it should be "easy". Speedo drive might be an issue - an electronic speedo is probably less effort.

Edited by CamB

thanks for the links, nice project that bloke has

i think the turbo manifold would be super duper tight in there!

thanks for point out how little I know about 2002's as well =D

i am surprised people can fit m20s in there

An M42 is only slightly more horsepower than a 2002tii, so basically the tii mods would be good enough:

- reinforced (boxed) rear trailing arms

- the front struts are slightly heaver, although I wouldn't have thought this was an issue

- 4 pot calipers I think

I think those were the main changes. In addition:

- you'll need to sort out some sort of vented brakes if you plan on going fast - I've got tii calipers with a spacer (makes them the same as - I think - early 5 series brakes) with e21 4 stud rotors

- the suspension could do with an upgrade.

Basically you'd be doing the stuff that people normally do to a 2002 when they make it faster - generally e30 stuff doesn't fit (although username 2002 in Pukekohe has grafted E30 stuff in). Try www.bmw2002.com and see the parts offered (eg brake kits, suspension in the tech section, etc). My biggest recommendation would be to get a shorter ratio diff, with LSD if you're getting serious since they spin the inside rear wheel when you start stiffening them up

Assuming you sort out engine and gearbox mount, a custom propshaft (probably), a custom exhaust and other piping, and convert to an EFI fuel pump (google for 2002 and megasquirt to find options on this) ... then it should be "easy". Speedo drive might be an issue - an electronic speedo is probably less effort.

I agree with what your saying Cam but. Over the years I've had a few M10's built up from Std to Wild 304deg race and one thing they all have had in common was they all cost a lot of money. For less than 1k I got M42 complete with loom and gearbox, that wasn't even the cost of the pistons for my last 02 engine. So For my last remaining 02 I've decided to go for reliable Twincam power. With not a lot of work a M42 will have a more power and reliability than a mild M10.

Edited by #14

I agree with what your saying Cam but. Over the years I've had a few M10's built up from Std to Wild 304deg race and one thing they all have had in common was they all cost a lot of money. For less than 1k I got M42 complete with loom and gearbox, that wasn't even the cost of the pistons for my last 02 engine. So For my last remaining 02 I've decided to go for reliable Twincam power. With not a lot of work a M42 will have a more power and reliability than a mild M10.

I TOTALLY agree. My engine is a factory tii replacement engine which hasn't done that many km (maybe 10,000km total - I've done about 5k). It's been set up on the dyno (Hi Velocity) and has a whole 102hp at the wheels, which is not really 130hp rated. I meant to imply that the mods required to the 2002 to make it handle the power are pretty minimal.

An M42 will have more power, be more refined, and run better when cold (actually mine's pretty good). It might even have better fuel economy (again, mine is good).

The issue for me is that a meaningful increase in power (ie to 150hp plus) is sort of a minimum of $6-8k.

<Butchery warning> I actually contemplated putting a Toyota 3SGE with a supra box in - 2 litres, 160hp plus, strong gearbox, cheap engine, and with exhaust on LHS of the engine, easy headers ---> the only issue is that I'd never be able to find a class to race in</butchery>

<2nd butchery warning>If I was in the UK I'd stick a Vauxhall XE engine in for the same reason</butchery>

Edited by CamB

If an M42 is fitted and turbo'd, would it still be eligible for BMW Open Class? Because '02 chassis came with a factory turbo model?

<Butchery warning> I actually contemplated putting a Toyota 3SGE with a supra box in - 2 litres, 160hp plus, strong gearbox, cheap engine, and with exhaust on LHS of the engine, easy headers ---> the only issue is that I'd never be able to find a class to race in</butchery>

Off topic, I don't have much respect for 3S motors, but ideally a BEAMS unit with dual vvti would be an ideal unit as it would come packaged with the very capable 6 speed out of the Altezza. The vvti is almost self contained if I remember correctly, so there wouldn't be too major hassles. Not to mention crashed Altezza RS200's can be bought on the cheap from Japan :D

If an M42 is fitted and turbo'd, would it still be eligible for BMW Open Class? Because '02 chassis came with a factory turbo model?

Probably, but no real point coz M10 will more cheaply turbo up than M42. The factory (and Mike Delmont) have a long history of making stupid power out of them.

But he has an M42 Turbo already. So if he swapped it from one car to another....

In theory, there shouldn't be a problem getting into the Open Class as the 2002 had a cylinder turbo fitted. Although, it's still down to the committee. Whi I'm sure would be happy to see you out there.

nope it wouldnt..any turbo cars need to use the factory turbo engine.

just been seeing a few s14 2002...i do like em.

too much hassle for me TBH...cars are a while away anyhow, I was more curious about fitment/custom work etc

nope it wouldnt..any turbo cars need to use the factory turbo engine.

just been seeing a few s14 2002...i do like em.

too much hassle for me TBH...cars are a while away anyhow, I was more curious about fitment/custom work etc

I've got an M42 with 112k out of an E36 318iS if you want it..

just if your interested Ian at"Eurotech" in Palmerston North has just completed an upgrade on a 2002 and they have dynoed it at somewhere between 215 and 220hp i think they also upgraded it to a multi clutch. but he could tell you more. they stayed close to 2002 bits on everything, you might like to contact him.

just if your interested Ian at"Eurotech" in Palmerston North has just completed an upgrade on a 2002 and they have dynoed it at somewhere between 215 and 220hp i think they also upgraded it to a multi clutch. but he could tell you more. they stayed close to 2002 bits on everything, you might like to contact him.

Yes I like Ian's work but that motor is my main motivation for going M42. That motor owes the owner more than the cost of my entire E30 series car!!!

220hp out of an n/a m42? someones chucked a lot of money at that!

220hp out of an n/a m42? someones chucked a lot of money at that!

Nope; M10 based. and yes LOT of $$