Sign in to follow this  
Justlikemusic

Motronic Tuning

I have just downloaded a Motronic editor

...and then read this:

http://home.comcast.net/~russelc/dme/dmetune.htm

... and now am wondering if I really (initially controlling boost with factory wastegate at 7psi) need the Megasquirt straight away.

I will boosting with stock head until I find a 325i head... which is proving to be difficult here in West Australia. It would be only for a couple 1/4 Mile runs though, maybe 5-6. I got three meets before the season closes, and I think I'll get to the last one, maybe two... just for some fun.

After that the car will have the head redone, megasquirt installed for higher boost (If needed?)... otherwise I forget about it and just do it all properly now. Only thing I have to make up now on the dodgy is manifold adapter which takes probably half an hour to mount the turbo. The rest of the install i have to do anyway.

Is there anyone that can provide further reading for Motronic adjustment or even whether it is worth it or why. Alot of people say ditch the factory ECU, but after reading what it can do... it seems that it has the fuel and timing map adjustment capabilities that I need as a novice tuner.

I have searched, and will continue to search.

While I'm at it... what Microcontroller chip does the Motronic 1.0 use?

Also, these EPROM Programmers cost between $50-100

Surely I can use this to edit the ECU settings.

http://www.futurlec.com.au/PicProg.jsp

sure can .. :) .. the ROM stores the loader program for the controller. From memory its just a easy off the shelf eprom.

Is there anywhere I can get shared .bin files? Megasquirt is going to be better for the amount of people that are actually running these... but with education and tuning, I think tuning the Motronic will be just as good since there is ignition and fuel adjustment within it already.

computers are only as good as the tune in them, with exception for features and etc

The problem I see now is tuning. If I run an air/fuel mixture gauge, then I want this matched with rpm so I can adjust it as finely as possible. I guess I'll have to look into this more with the Motronic editor... but I'll buy an EPROM writer this week.

You sure you can save the bin files with the motronic editor that you have? And that it is actually saving the modifications you make?

No, the editor I ended up getting to work was the link i got from ya and I should be able to use that to tell me where the maps are on the bin file. however, megasquirt it is. Motronic is too much messing about for a flap afm.