Sign in to follow this  
rowanhol

e34 camber caster kit+bilstein hd's

hey guys my e34 535 is suffering from understeer quite badly, always has even with the 17" schnitzers and new bridgestone tyres it's pretty average and has a bit of wear on the outside edge of the front tyres, same as with the 15's. have had wheel alignment done but no different.

the car is pretty low and front springs are coil binding a bit.

i just picked up a set of bilstein hd's from a wrecker and was thinking they would make a bit of difference, rears have aftermarket springs so not sure how low they will make the car sit compared to what i have now..

i was also thinking of adding one of these kits, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRONT-CAMBE...tem230236193365

surely some more negative camber and a bit more caster will help reduce understeer, what do you think? any other kits worth looking at?

and how low can i go with my hd's? ive heard you should use the sport struts if lowereing more than an inch, but will the hd's cope with superlow springs or will they have bugger all travel?

cheers

Maybe you should put some better springs in. Dont go super low. HD's should be fine with a moderate drop.

Sounds like the set up of your car is all wrong E34's don't really understeer so if yours has severe understeer then fix the "introduced" problems first.

If you go to the camber/ caster kit to improve this you can make a significant change BUT if you increase caster you should decrease camber.

What is the current geometry (degrees caster / camber etc. )

Tyre type will also have an impact what type are you running and what pressures

not sure on camber/caster at the monent, cannot find the wheel alignment sheet

running bridgestone sports tourer my-01 all round

at the moment running 36psi to try and slow outside wear

had them at 32 and 34 and still handles much the same

Maybe you should put some better springs in. Dont go super low. HD's should be fine with a moderate drop.

yeah i was thinking if i put the bilsteins in i'll get new springs, it's just thet e34's sit so high standard, especially in the front, so would like to go superlows if possible

You are definitely the first person to complain about a 6 cylinder E34 understeering (in my memory, at least).

The Motorsport springs that the 540iS has would be a good start, they are a 20mm drop off memory, and some number stiffer.

I have to push the 540iS really hard to even get the feeling the front isn't turning in.

You are definitely the first person to complain about a 6 cylinder E34 understeering (in my memory, at least).

The Motorsport springs that the 540iS has would be a good start, they are a 20mm drop off memory, and some number stiffer.

I have to push the 540iS really hard to even get the feeling the front isn't turning in.

maybe i'm just pushing it too hard,hmm

i see there is some mtech springs on trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=147435185

IMHO you are running the tyres too soft...not sure what size you run,but i run my 17 high 30s .Sometimes (read when entering a corner too fast and on the brakes) you can feel a tendency to push,otherwise its pretty neutral the attitude of the car doesnt really change when getting and or off the throttle mid bend,the rear end of these cars stick like glue

Depends on the tyre type and spec . Some you can blow real hard Pirelli 17s on our E39 ran at 41 in the back

Put that in the sport MAXX we have on at the moment and it will wheel spin at every start.

MAXX is best all round at 36 but feels softer in corners because side walls moving more at lower pressure.

true 3 pedals true...I beleive the pressure for e 34 M5 with 17s is something like 39/42!Even 36 though is a bit more than the OP is running.

even with the potenzas it was much the same and they are a fair bit better than what i'm running now..

may try upping the tyre pressures, so do you run more in the rear than front or keep them the same?

been doing a little research and it seems that many people overseas find the e28's and e34's understeer, the best fix seems to be a thicker rear swaybar and more negative camber up front, aswell as decent shocks and springs.

For tyre pressures try 36 in the front and 38 in the rear - but check what the load rating is - if it is less than 94 there is no point in blowing the tyres over 34

finally checked the load rating, has 94v stamped on the tyre.

will try upping the pressure and maybe getting another wheel alignment so i can see what the geometry is like.

who would you reccomend in the chch area?

finally checked the load rating, has 94v stamped on the tyre.

will try upping the pressure and maybe getting another wheel alignment so i can see what the geometry is like.

who would you reccomend in the chch area?

Asking in the nicest possible way... is it how you drive?

If you punt the car into the corner too fast, then just turn the wheel, physics will win and the car will scrub off speed using the outside edge of the front tyres. As others have said, if you set the car up correctly for the corner, there should be very little, if any, understeer.

I suggest this only coz my father in law has an E34, wears the tyres like you say, and drives like I've just described.