Sign in to follow this  
JiB

Performance modifications for E30 325i

I'm just wondering if there is any point doing intake and exhaust on a standard cam/ECU M20B25. I don't really see a Pod+CAI improving things very much..The noise would probably make it sounds faster though :lol:

As far as I can see the intake is pretty good as is, even has a factory velocity stack of some kind, the exhaust doesn't look too bad either...it's the small bore 4 bolt system dual pipe right through.

The only significant gains to be had (from what I can see) is from the headers, but this is problematic with steering column in the way. Not to mention it is cost prohibitive, especially if I/H/E is done then a tune of some kind would be necessary and unfortunately PFL Motronic system isn't very flexible <_<

I'm just wondering if there is any point doing intake and exhaust on a standard cam/ECU M20B25. I don't really see a Pod+CAI improving things very much..The noise would probably make it sounds faster though :lol:

As far as I can see the intake is pretty good as is, even has a factory velocity stack of some kind, the exhaust doesn't look too bad either...it's the small bore 4 bolt system dual pipe right through.

The only significant gains to be had (from what I can see) is from the headers, but this is problematic with steering column in the way. Not to mention it is cost prohibitive, especially if I/H/E is done then a tune of some kind would be necessary and unfortunately PFL Motronic system isn't very flexible <_<

What about a performance chip?

Lots of info about them available. I think someone on here switched from the older 1.0 Motronic to 1.3 as well. Not sure of cost but could be worth a look into.

Cam and/or MegaSquirt ECU (or any standalone).

Haven't done either, but seems to be the way to go.

Headers are expensive, but the next step (along with the rest of the exhaust)

Then things get really expensive, especially for little gain.

As others will say, there's no replacement for displacement (or a turbo!)

Edited by antony

Cam and/or MegaSquirt ECU (or any standalone).

Haven't done either, but seems to be the way to go.

Headers are expensive, but the next step (along with the rest of the exhaust)

Then things get really expensive, especially for little gain.

As others will say, there's no replacement for displacement (or a turbo!)

Yea big $$$ needed for substantial gains.

Hey were you driving from Greymouth towards Chch last Sunday?

Yip. :D.

Where were you?

Suspension upgrades in the e30 are value for money imo, and worth doing (and doing right) before any major engine modifications.

Edited by antony

Yip. :D.

oh your car looks great by the way.

I saw a blacked out one when i was on my way over and thought it might of been yours.

Any developments on the 2.7?

Edit: Driving over to pick up a project.

What suspension is in yours?

Edited by jeddy

STILL waiting on cam and chip from the UK. One set was lost in the post, and apparently another has been sent out. Then it should be straight in (hopefully), but I'm at uni in otago, so more than likely not going to happen till the Xmas holidays when I get some coin. But apart from that, I've got everything.

E: Bilstien HD's with jamex springs.

Project?

Edited by antony

Project?

Yea still in planning stage tho so still mulling over ideas for it.

Got the 88' 318 that had had the 325 and manual put in.

How much did that cost you?

Cat cam is £227, chip is £65, postage is likely to be £30 or so with insurance.

Can't remember the exact amount I paid, was ~$820 i think.

From Ant Woodjetts off e30zone.net

Edited by antony

Can't remember the exact amount I paid, was ~$820 i think.

From Ant Woodjetts off e30zone.net

Lol was talking about the suspension.

But are you running the chip in the motronic ecu or with M/S etc?

bilstien struts - $500 off here a couple years ago, and jamex springs were $300 off trademe, I would recommend spending extra on better springs tho, mine are meant to be a 40mm drop, but I once failed a wof for being to low (at VTNZ, and it was the bolt on the sump), but that's some serious sag.

Will be running motronic.

Future plans include MS. (...and eventually ITB's lol)

Future plans include MS. (...and eventually ITB's lol)

How much do you know about the ITB's?

I think Andrew said 4-6k to set up.

I'm struggling to find quality stuff and write ups dynos etc?

Good luck with the project tho, ill definitely look into the suspension stuff first.

It would certainly be up there (including standalone ECU), but I'm talking in a couple years.

When I'm back on my computer (in a week), I'll have a look through my favorites, should be a few links there.

So I guess the verdict is there's not much point doing CAI and Exhuast unless accompanied by headers and a chip?

So I guess the verdict is there's not much point doing CAI and Exhuast unless accompanied by headers and a chip?

Probably best to start with chip, at least you'd feel some difference. Accompanied by other little mods would help but don't expect huge gains me thinks

E:whats CAI?

Edited by jeddy

Probably best to start with chip, at least you'd feel some difference. Accompanied by other little mods would help but don't expect huge gains me thinks

E:whats CAI?

CAI = Cold Air Intake. Sorry.

I'm too stingy to spend money on stuff that is probably negligable and would mean that I need earplugs to drive. Rather than spend $2500+ doing IHE+tune, I'd rather save up for a better motor. No offense but the M20 isn't exactly a a great base! :P

....perhaps I have been spoilt by Japanese motors :ph34r:

I'm too stingy to spend money on stuff that is probably negligable and would mean that I need earplugs to drive. Rather than spend $2500+ doing IHE+tune, I'd rather save up for a better motor. No offense but the M20 isn't exactly a a great base! :P

You'd notice small differences but your not going to be as fast as putting a 16.4 into it

Hey. Loud is all good. Haha not.. My E30 is stupid loud. Its getting shut up this week I hope. So sick of constant noise.

I was going to make up a cold airbox for my e30 soon. I doubt the gains will be of a noticeable level but they are dirt cheap to make. And I guess would help on the track a little. Somehow I think my Monza poverty filter is worse than the stock airbox. lol.

Go and have a drool over the engine parts section of the Ireland Engineering website.

Cams,Headers, Chips Inlet manifolds and all the goodies.

I have to try my best not to put that turbo kit on the credit card !

Hey. Loud is all good. Haha not.. My E30 is stupid loud. Its getting shut up this week I hope. So sick of constant noise.

I was going to make up a cold airbox for my e30 soon. I doubt the gains will be of a noticeable level but they are dirt cheap to make. And I guess would help on the track a little. Somehow I think my Monza poverty filter is worse than the stock airbox. lol.

Lol, Monza performance gear can be really shocking sometimes...I've been thinking of having a look in the standard airbox and seeing if I can gut it as a cheap cold air box. Especially seeing BMW parts catalogue calls it a "intake muffler" :lol:

Go and have a drool over the engine parts section of the Ireland Engineering website.

Cams,Headers, Chips Inlet manifolds and all the goodies.

I have to try my best not to put that turbo kit on the credit card !

If I were to do those modifications I wouldn't be using the M20...I just can't justify the costs on such small gains :(

Which was why I asked about intake and exhaust as they're faily cheap.

...Hmm, maybe I'll leave it completely stock power-wise...see what the 315,000km M20 can do. (Read as: My excuse for my slowness :lol:)

Lol, Monza performance gear can be really shocking sometimes...I've been thinking of having a look in the standard airbox and seeing if I can gut it as a cheap cold air box. Especially seeing BMW parts catalogue calls it a "intake muffler" :lol:

If I were to do those modifications I wouldn't be using the M20...I just can't justify the costs on such small gains :(

Which was why I asked about intake and exhaust as they're faily cheap.

...Hmm, maybe I'll leave it completely stock power-wise...see what the 315,000km M20 can do. (Read as: My excuse for my slowness :lol:)

Agree. If I want to go turbo. I will buy a 1jzgte or if I am feeling rich a 2jzgte. Best turbo 6 ever made. And thats coming from a Nissan and BMW guy.

Agree. If I want to go turbo. I will buy a 1jzgte or if I am feeling rich a 2jzgte. Best turbo 6 ever made. And thats coming from a Nissan and BMW guy.

I'd agree on that, the only downside of JZ motors is the weight...though, they're lighter than RB's B) (If one were made of money and a little bit crazy, BMW's N54 would probably be a pretty choice motor - light and a twin turbo'd six)

Hmm, I'd probably go the NA route with either a I4 or V6. Either Honda's F20C or Toyota's BEAMS 3SGE. Both come with pretty slick 6spds B) The problem is then finding a class that'd allow a Jap powered BMW to race <_< .

I could not possibly justify an S14, $10,000+ for just the motor is crazy money..Especially when that would be close to the total price of 3SGE+installation!

But, I am a student, and a poor one. Therefore, my M20 will do for now :lol: And I should keep reminding myself that this is a BUDGET race car ^_^

Keep it under 2.0l, and single turbo and you can run SS2000 class. There's one there already.