Sign in to follow this  
arros

e34 540

Now that is a mean 540i! Good luck with the sale.

Ta, Actually looking at your signiture e30 image reminded me: when I first bought it one of the first things I thought of doing was pinstriping it with the Motorsport tri colours

Very nice!

Maybe I should go for this and keep the 328 as well :D

Yeah, you literally just changed it a minute before- looked at your signiture img and though- what the frick happen here- pinstriping/decaling (good quality though) are obvoiusly decent on white cars

Very nice!

Maybe I should go for this and keep the 328 as well :D

Mackt: ...'probably early 2000'... ha, why when you can go all the way back to 1993 :lol:

My choice would be the 540, over 530- funny I should say that!- Actually look at getting an 39 540 myself

Already been a recent thread on e34 vs e39- won't get back on that one

Beautiful car Adrian, looks to be in very good condition both inside and out. Reminds me of that white E34 on Schnitzers I posted awhile back. Good luck!

Beautiful car Adrian, looks to be in very good condition both inside and out. Reminds me of that white E34 on Schnitzers I posted awhile back. Good luck!

thats because it's the same one - i thought someone would have snapped this up by now - a beautiful car.

Did you have a tape stacker thingy in the centre console when you bought the vehicle? It appears you've taken it out and made it somewhat of a storage place?

Ian.

Yeah Yuen she is is pretty good nick. Ollie I did a swifty plug for my car about a month ago, posted a pic, just testing someone at the time, think it migh have been in gen discussion section.

Creaver: Car didn't come with tape storage rack thingy- this is my 3rd 34, none of em have had that hideous tape thing

Creaver: Car didn't come with tape storage rack thingy- this is my 3rd 34, none of em have had that hideous tape thing

I guess I was unlucky, haha.

im still quite tempted by your car.. just don't have the cash flow though,same old bloody story

Hey Rowan, Yeah you have been working hard to sell your car(s) ;)

So you think you might go 540 even if it an auto then- cool

Hey Rowan, Yeah you have been working hard to sell your car(s) ;)

So you think you might go 540 even if it an auto then- cool

Hi Adrian

yeah i think so, i'll just have to live with auto. they seem to be great value for how much car you get. i'm paranoid about the auto giving me greif though..we shall just have to see.

your 540 is definately one of the nicer models i've seen for the money, the white looks good,the white sills and lower section of bumpers really pulls it off.

going to put the blue 535 on trademe soon, have to put up with all the "interesting" comments/questions though, oh well

you had much interest in yours?

'Interesting' comments= people asking dumb Q's on TM then...don't tell me: what's it like on gas- that's always a classic

Much interest- no one come forward so far no

'i'm paranoid about the auto giving me greif though'

Obviously a comment on autos in general than make/model specifics- mmm

Generally the ZF Transmission on BMWs are reliable...get on with good service history... bla bla- not really what you wanna hear though. Manual=more forgiving and auto= generally more expensive when things go wrong i guess- not that I know from experience of blowing either. Both probably true. I thought this before I bought my first auto (e28) but it doesnt stop me flooring an auto,- gotta be warmed up first of course just gotta not thrash it- never had a problem so far.

'i'm paranoid about the auto giving me greif though'

Obviously a comment on autos in general than make/model specifics- mmm

Generally the ZF Transmission on BMWs are reliable...get on with good service history... bla bla- not really what you wanna hear though. Manual=more forgiving and auto= generally more expensive when things go wrong i guess- not that I know from experience of blowing either. Both probably true. I thought this before I bought my first auto (e28) but it doesnt stop me flooring an auto,- gotta be warmed up first of course just gotta not thrash it- never had a problem so far.

I'm not too sure that I would totally agree with some of the comments here.

The most problematic thing about the auto trans from what I've been lead to believe is the organic material used for the drive clutches, and these seem to die with time. The box in our old 535 was "dying", the symptoms were really slow 1-2 change when cold, sometimes it wouldn't select 2 at all, it would select a neutral, and it would improve once the car had warmed up, a flush and a fresh lot of fluid worked wonders.

However the trans can be rebuilt using aftermarket parts, and from the fiqures I've seen posted is around 4K, which seems similar to other autos...like Falcon....although I havent done the exercise in pricing it up myself.

The manual box is a little different, I ended up having the box in our manual 535 rebuilt at 150K, the symptoms were that the car was jumping out of first occasionally when taking off from a start. The problem was put down to a very slight amount of freeplay in the bearings although once the box was opened they found that the syncros were shagged as well, while the major component was paid for by the mechanical insurance they played hard ball with the syncros and I ended up coughing up $500 for the syncro rings, and the gearbox repairer commented that I was "lucky" as they ended up having to use geniune BMW bearings in the gearbox, and the sycnros were the cheapest part of the rebuild.

So I would gather that the E34 5 speeds may not be as cheap to repair in comparison to the auto.

Personally I reckon the 540 even with the auto is a great car, and because we use it as a daily driver with a relatively short haul into the city, I dont miss the old manual 535 at all. And the 540 is cheaper to run on a trip

That is an awesome looking car!! Good luck with the sale- I just love these in white (though I still want the 535 manuals on trademe at the mo)

rxsumo cheers for your comments, darn youve had a bad run

Cheers sick pup,