Sign in to follow this  
xtr041947

e38 factory speakers are crap

Hi I have a 2001 e38, I reckon the speakers are really crap, they lack the range of treble, any ideas what it would cost including install for an upgrade?

Well it depends on what your budget is for the upgrade?

Also what type of music will you have etc? you have options to go for a nice set-up with good mid-high freq. or a nice bassey system.

Personally i'm got DLS Ultimate 3-way speakers, running off a 4ch. amp and i'd have to say i'd never go back to anything else. The 'downside' is that they cost a lot more than something like jvc, pioneer, fusion etc etc.

Laurence.

Hi I have a 2001 e38, I reckon the speakers are really crap, they lack the range of treble, any ideas what it would cost including install for an upgrade?

What system do you have?

The 6-speaker, 10-speaker or 12-speaker system.

All 3 options were made for the E38, you need to check what is fitted.

Listen to each speaker grill to see if you have the tweeter, mid and lowrange speaker in the front doors. Some cars just have tweeter and full-range.

My brother has a 10 speaker system. And since he had a new head unit installed he lost the use of six of them. And the ones he has left are blowen or just crap. Is there an easy way around this?

My brother has a 10 speaker system. And since he had a new head unit installed he lost the use of six of them. And the ones he has left are blowen or just crap. Is there an easy way around this?

There is an amp in the rear on the left hand side behind the CD stacker. If the installer hasn't connected this up then yes, a lot of your speakers won't work.

I havn't seen the need to add a new head unit - the radio is better than any after market unit I've seen recently, it's got a 6 stacker, it has integrated TV, it has steering wheel controls, and the sound is very impressive.

Is your an import? - mine is a 99 NZ new . Mine appears to have 8 speakers, 2 in each door, although the spec sheet from red book says it should have 10. If so beats me where the other 2 are.

Edited by jimbo

Is your an import? - mine is a 99 NZ new and the sound is very impressive. Mine appears to have 8 speakers, 2 in each door, although the spec sheet from red book says it should have 10. If so beats me where the other 2 are.

My olds 540 has 12 speakers and the sound is impressive as you say, very impressive for stock

There is an amp in the rear on the left hand side behind the CD stacker. If the installer hasn't connected this up then yes, a lot of your speakers won't work.

I havn't seen the need to add a new head unit - the radio is better than any after market unit I've seen recently, it's got a 6 stacker, it has integrated TV, it has steering wheel controls, and the sound is very impressive.

Is your an import? - mine is a 99 NZ new . Mine appears to have 8 speakers, 2 in each door, although the spec sheet from red book says it should have 10. If so beats me where the other 2 are.

Most had 3 x speakers in each front door (tweeter, mid, and low range)

Some E38s had different door panels that only have grills indicating 2 x speakers, but you maye have 3 x speakers behind the grills.

PS: with your E38 with integrated TV, it is very easy to retrofit the navigation system, especially to an NZ New car. Adds some cool features. With full spoken voice guidance through all speakers. And full colour map displays, including 3D view.