Sign in to follow this  
bekker

E28 speaker upgrade

Hi,

I have a stock BMW system in my 525EE. It's the 'premuim' one with 4 inch mids in the kick panels and tweeters on the doors.

My question is...

I'm about to upgrade the front speakers with new components and I've taken the tweeters off to find that they are 8 ohm units. Is this because the tweeter and mid are somehow running in parallel or is the amp (in the boot under the parcel shelf) an 8 ohm amp?

Any ideas?

Cheers

I have a stock BMW system in my 525EE. It's the 'premuim' one with 4 inch mids in the kick panels and tweeters on the doors.

My question is...

I'm about to upgrade the front speakers with new components and I've taken the tweeters off to find that they are 8 ohm units. Is this because the tweeter and mid are somehow running in parallel or is the amp (in the boot under the parcel shelf) an 8 ohm amp?

The tweeters will be connected via a simple cross-over bnetwork of 1 x series capacitor, and be in parallel with the mid range speaker

Give me your chassis number and I can look up the wiring diagram.

impedence is not so important at the high freq, those speakers have a pretty neat crossover set up , they actually have a full coil /cap system wrapped around the woofer magnet .

they are a 6"by4" woofer in the front .

so go for a 6.5" set up with soem adaptor mount plate in the foot well.

Thanks guys,

I've got a set of 6x4 components, not super high qaulity but I thought they would be a good upgrade.

They come with nice new (and good looking) covers.

I'm not doing a full upgrade just yet, keeping an eye out for a nice Blaupunkt, Becker or Nakamichi headunit to replace the stock Alpine. I'll update the amp sometime too.

The chassis number is: wbadb620201866527

Thanks for you help so far guys.

i have a nice blaupunkt tape radio with 10 cd stacker if you like , comes with book , remote , cables , face box etc .

post-279-1208421706_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i