Sign in to follow this  
bmw325i

E30 wheel bearing

Just seeing if anyone has put a new front wheel bearing in an e30 and how difficult it is to do it yourself and aprox how much time would you allow to do it?

thanks again,

Jase

Easy job - up to 1/2hr each side, comes as complete hub assy - remove old one - refit new, done!

Might get a shock at the price though - I screwed Repco & got for them for $130 a side, usually well over $200 each from memory. Price around

not too bad to change but like Grant said they are pricey!

whilst the car is still on the ground pop the centre cap off the wheel and loosen the large 45mm nut that holds the bearing to the stub axle, don't forget to remove the nuts split/lock with a screw driver.

Jack up the car, remove the wheel and brake caliper assembly, hook the calipers up with a piece of wire or something.

Now all that is out the way, take the brake rotor off by removing the small hex head grub screw.

What you will now be left with is your wheel bearing still tightly on the stub axle, remove the nut you previously loosened.

Now the hard part - removing the bearing, my technique involved a large hammer and a larger screw driver, i'll let you choose your own technique. You will more that likely split the bearing in half in the process. If for some reason you need to remove the splash shield, don't forget to put it back on before you put your new bearing on!!!

Fitting the new one is opposite to removal however gently tap the bearing using the large socket and a hammer to hit the inner ring. do not hit the outside of the bearing - you will split it in half. Remember to torque it right up with the car on the ground!!

hope that helps

Ollies description - couldn't have put better myself. This is the case if you are replacing bearings individually.

You can also commonly buy as a complete hub/bearing assy - this is what I did - then just a case of removing & replacing hub as Ollie described but without changing the bearings.

Check the differences in price between the two options.

Ollies description - couldn't have put better myself. This is the case if you are replacing bearings individually.

You can also commonly buy as a complete hub/bearing assy - this is what I did - then just a case of removing & replacing hub as Ollie described but without changing the bearings.

Check the differences in price between the two options.

I was talking about the hub bearing assembly, they are a sealed unit. Cant get them any other way I don't think.

thanks heaps for that guys, this would have to be the best forum for gettting help and input on things. seen as im on the other side of the fence aswel with the sivlia, im a member of the nz silvia forums and i swear theyre a different class of people... thats all i need to say lol. We're still just sussing out what exactly it is, whether its the wheel bearing or just a bushing in the steering set up. Its looking like it could just be a bushing which is definalty a lot cheaper by the sounds of things! but ill double check it all out to make sure there isnt a buggered bearing that could collapse on the way back from christchurch (where i brought the car).

cheers guys.

Jase